Chapter 1 - Surprises

My Name is Amberley Jane Webb, I’m about 5"8 with have long black wavy hair and I am 15 years old.  I’m not thin but I’m not fat, I’m just pretty average. I’m happy with myself and there is no need to change because it really doesn’t matter what other people think! A lot of people call me Baby Webb ( Well that name comes from my brothers friends) along with my other annoying nick name 'Brain Child' (Another name that my brothers friends developed). They do not really bother me because yes I guess they are both true in one way or another. I’m the baby of the family and Matt is EXTREAMLY protective when it comes to me and well for the brain child area I guess I am. I just like to study and read a lot and I might be a straight A student. Nevertheless, sometimes I would like to be known for more than how smart I am. 

January 25th 2005 - (one of the worst and bests days of my life)

(Amberleys P.O.V)

"MATTHEW RICHARD WEBB IF YOU DO NOT GIVE ME THAT LETTER I SWEAR TO GOD THAT I WILL KICK YOU WHERE THE SUN DON’T SHINE" I threatened my older brother as he ran around the living with todays mail. "What did you want this?" Matt asked holding out a large envelope that I had been waiting to come in the mail for the past 3 months. "Give it to me!!!" I shrieked once again, "Where are your manners? No please?" Matt retorted. "Matthew Richard Webb would you pretty please give me that envelope?" I asked putting on my best smile. "Well Since you asked so nicely Lil' sis" Matt finally gave me the envelope and I ripped in open like it was a life or death situation.

"AHHHHHHHH!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!! THEY ACCEPTED ME!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs and jumped into a bone crushing hug from Matt. 

I was just accepted to the best school in the country. So yeah I guess its true now.. I am a brainchild. I have been skipped from grade 9 to grade 11 and am going to be attending the best school in the country! I am going to be moving to Toronto! To attend The Toronto High school of excellence. Wait.. I’m going to be moving to Toronto… I wasn’t sure if i was happy or sad about this.. I mean obviously it was an amazing opportunity but I would be moving hours and hours away from my home in Van City and my best friend and older brother.. "Matt I’m moving to Toronto.." I actually started to cry because I knew how much I would miss him.. "Ambs it Okays! This is such an amazing opportunity! And its not like we are never going to see each other again! don’t worry my little brainchild everything will be okay" Matt hugged be again. He always new how to cheer me up.

So yes so far this is one of the best days of my life.. I’m 15 year old but I’m about to be skipped ahead two grades in school and be in Grade 11 at a new school on the other side of the country.. However, it’s okay because this is such an amazing opportunity I just need to not focus on my nerves and just be excited! 

(3 Hours Later)

Matt and I ordered pizza and were going to sit down and have a bit of a movie marathon, well that was until our parents came home... yelling their heads off.. Matt stood up and yelled over the top of them "WOULD YOU MIND CALMING DOWN AND EXPLAINING TO YOUR CHILDREN WHY YOU ARE TRYING TO DEATHEN THE WHOLE NEIGHBOURHOOD!?!?!?" "Sorry guys I didn’t realise you were in here" My father (Neil) said to us in a calmer tone "Well I guess I should explain to you what’s going on.. " My Dad looked really nervous and upset "Well Kids Your Mother and I are getting a divorce.." WHAT MY PARENTS ARE BREAKING UP?? I NEVER THOUGHT THEIR FIGHTING WAS THAT BAD! "W-w-w-h-h-h-y-y-y??" I stuttered trying to hold back the tears "Well Jen should I tell them or..." My mother just nodded without making eye contact with anyone. "Okay kids, yes I am very upset that me and you mother a separating because yes up until about an hour ago I thought that we were still madly in love after the 22 years that we have been together. But as I found out earlier tonight your mother has been having an affair for the past 3 years.." my father looked as if he was going to burst into tears "What-t-t m-m-m-m-u-u-u-m-m-m is that.. That t-t-t-rue??" I could barley speak. All my mother did was nod her head and walk up stairs. I hope it was to pack her suitcase because I never want to see her again. Matt and I both ran to hug our father and that when we all burst out tears. 

January 26th 2005 -

I woke up the next day in my bed not remembering how I got there.. I walked done the stairs groggily to see my father look up at me smiling.. Not what I expected.. "Baby girl! I am so proud of you!" he said as wrapped me into a bone crushing bear hug. I had totally forgot that I had been accepted in the school in Toronto. "Thank you daddy! I guess I just didn’t have a chance to mention it with the events of last night and all.." I was trying to not break down in tears again. My dad pulled me into another hug before we sat on the couch to discuss the details of my moving to Toronto in less than a month. 

(Matts P.O.V)

So In a matter of one day I’ve found out I’m loosing two family members, one for good and well one for bad.. My mother left.. Well that’s bad but then again I guess its good because I don’t want to see her lying cheating face again after I found out that the last 3 years of her marriage to my father have been a lie. I also found out that my baby sister is going to be moving to Toronto to go to some fancy boarding school.. Don’t get my wrong i am so happy for her and extremely proud.. But ill miss her.. 

I walked down stairs to see my dad and Amberley sitting on the couch in what looked like a pretty deep conversation. When I walked into the living room and found a spot of the couch, they were discussing moving and travel arrangements for my sister.. Well they are getting stuck into the plans already.. But then again I guess she does have to move on February 15th.. Wait February 15th.. That’s less than 20 days away!! Man I really am going to miss her.. 

"Matt! Matt! Hello! Earth to Matt!" Amberley was waving her hand in my face and brought me back to reality.. "Oh sorry! Just zoned out a bit! So you guys are planning already I see" I stated "Well Matty I do leave in less than 20 da...." her sentence was cut short by me pulling her into a bear hug. "Ambs.. I’m going to miss you so much.." "Awh! Matty I’m going to miss you too! but its okay we will still see each other as often as possible!! I promise!!" And I know I would see her but that doesn’t mean I wont miss her.. She was my baby sister.. And with her being on the other side of the country I wouldn’t be able to protect her..