Chapter Fifty-Seven

Dan was sitting at the pool table, rolling one of the weights against his hand and along the surface, watching it glide across the green sheet. He barely played the game; if he was in the Common Room he'd more likely take up a two-versus-two match with Chris, PJ, and Phil at table tennis. It was a shame they didn't have DDR in Crossings, he'd thrash them.

PJ sighed, jumping off the table at slinging his bag onto his back, "Well, we've got History, Dan." he smiled.

"I've got a free period." the boy shrugged. The room was bare, apart from the Halloween decorations half-heartedly slung from the wall, so he shuffled across the table and met his boyfriend's lips with his.

"Do I get a goodbye like that, too?" Chris teased before Dan whacked the back of his head. PJ glared at him, too.

"Right. I should get some work done." Dan chuckled, sitting on the edge of the table as his friends left the room. He groaned, jumping off and looking around the room, deciding to sit at the computers and scan through his emails. Only one of the four screens was already on, and he preferred not to have to wait half an hour for it to turn on, so he sat where the chair was drawn out from under the desk and rocked on its hind legs.

He hummed, swallowing as he opened another message from Professor Stanley, letting his eyes scan the message before re-reading and taking it in.

"Dear Daniel Howell, I have been in continuous conversation with Auburn Independent School for Boys since two years ago, regarding your place at PALT College and I would like to reassure you that your place for 2008 is still secure. However, I am aware that your education is equivalent to the year above's and while I would normally ignore this, I am rather keen on you taking part in a year-long course to experience the acting industry further, especially as a number of our students come from Performing Arts high schools. That being said, you would not be at a disadvantage if you didn't take this offer.
I will explain the course in greater detail, if you provide interest, but while I would normally enable students to take this after school days, you, of course, cannot make that journey easily. We would enrol you as a regular student, however you would not be attending college classes for a year. We would house you as a regular student, and you would still complete the four-year degree starting August 2008. However, you would come over in April 2007 instead and spend a year prior in the states, attending this course for thirteen months.
Following being informed of the challenges you're facing at Auburn School, I updated your school about this offer and we both agreed your interests would be the best to be involved from this point. Please do not feel alarmed about our communication, it came from a place in my heart that feels responsible for your care after you lost your grandmother. I cannot wait to meet you, Daniel, and while I don't expect I can replace family members, I hope I won't be far off.
Best wishes, Professor Hayden Stanley."

"So he wants to replace my family, but doesn't give me his first name until now." Dan sarcastically laughed, although inside he was overwhelmingly excited. He began wondering who the man was to his grandma, and why she meant so much to him, and likewise him to her. He didn't know much about his grandma before he lived with her, and even then he barely had the chance to get to know her and her whole story.

The teenager shook his head, reading through the other emails he received from the school and closing the device down. He didn't want to think about it yet because he knew what the answer was going to be, and that meant he'd be setting the clock on the time until he left England: six months. He bit his lips and scrunched his nose. He wondered if he'd get homesick.

"Daniel." Mr Brown smiled, walking into the open room, "I was hoping to catch you today. Were you just on your emails?" his student nodded, "I'm assuming you're up-to-date?"

"Conveniently so," Dan chuckled, still completely overwhelmed, "It...is a yes, but-"

"No, no." his House Master shook his head, "I'm not looking for an answer. You have...two weeks to decide, I guess." he hummed, "Time goes fast."

"Because I have to give my notice a term before, don't I?" Dan shook, looking tearfully at his lap.

"Um, yes. Although you're not paying fees so there's not much stopping you, I suppose. You can always say you are and then back out of it, too..." he realised he was rambling, "Right. That's not why I was hoping to find you today." he pulled out a seat and shuffled forwards, "I need to you promise you won't say anything about this because then I'm actually responsible, but if you don't I can do this carefully with everyone's best interests in mind."

Dan bit his lip and his cheeks heated red, "I won't say a thing...I promise." he didn't know what he was agreeing to.

Mr Brown nodded, "I'm not an idiot and drunk teenagers aren't quiet, but we can't stop you and it's better you are all on grounds than fights in the streets. This was decided by the school back in the 60s when it all began, and we're sticking to it. But, when students, or a student, don't do this somewhat responsibly and start becoming a risk to themselves, especially in the early months, it's my duty both morally, and as your Hsm, to step in." he sighed, "Dan, I trust that you won't get drunk tonight. This is your first warning. I won't stop a singular drink, but I want you to be down here at eleven on the dot to say goodnight. It's Halloween, but don't let waking up in the hospital be your scare."

"This was Phil, wasn't it?" Dan laughed in disbelief. He didn't get a reply from the teacher, but he didn't need one, "Okay." he agreed.

"It wasn't just Phil." Mr Brown admitted, standing up and tucking his chair in, "Say nothing, but I think you'd be interested to know that Jacob spoke up, too. Don't judge a book by its cover."

"Even if that book has 'I'm a knob head' written in red on the front?" Dan rolled his eyes.

"Especially if it does. I doubt you'll be seeing him again after April, so try not to resent him too much. Or do, I've lectured you enough today."