Chapter Thirty-seven

Wednesday October 28, 2020

Sefiat's POV

Love is blind. That's what they say. Age doesn't matter. That's what I keep telling myself. When in Love, age doesn't matter. That's how it's supposed to be. But the society doesn't believe. They call it an abomination.

How did I allow myself to get this entangled with him. How? Now I'm deep. He already stole my heart. But I can't have him without putting myself in trouble. I don't even know if he loves me back.

Why did I allow myself to fall for my teacher.

What the hell was wrong with me!

I remember the first day he came into our class when I was in SS2. The way he smiled at me. The way he looked at me with his cute eyes. I was deeply attracted to him. I should have cautioned myself then but I didn't. Instead I started finding more reasons to be around him.

The day we became closer was the day that he comforted me. Them, I was passing through something's at home which was affecting me. I became quiet in school. He noticed and confronted me. Ever since then, we've been close.

Ever since Olamide caught us, I've been trying to avoid her. I can't bring myself to explain to her...I doubt if she'll understand with the way she looked at me that day.

Since that day, he has been avoiding me. I've tried to talk to him but he always cut me off. I've also been seeing him with this new female teacher. It hurts me Everytime I see them together. But there's nothing I can do. I'm just the student who stupidly fell in love for a teacher who can never love her back.

Today's Wednesday. I'm going back home for the midterm break today. Most students are happy about this especially the SS3 students since we'll be leaving the hostel for few days. But I'm not among them. I don't want to go home. The word "home" brings much fear to my heart to the extent that I try my best not to think of it.

Very soon my dad will arrive to pick me. From there, the torture will start. The words, the abuse, the curses. Then when we reach home, it'll be worse.

I try my best to live in the present, not in the past or in the future. That's how I've been living, in a shell of happiness that I created for myself. If I start to think about the past or the future then I'll never be happy.

I have no future. My father will force me Into an arranged marriage...more like sell me to the richest bidder. That's what he did for my elder sisters. He'll do it to me too.

"Guys keep quiet the history teacher is coming and he has a cane in his hand." Someone in the class says and I straighten my sitting posture.

After few seconds, Mr Olapeju strides into the class. I try my best not to stare at me but i find myself staring into his eyes. He looks my way for a second and his expression changes to an angry one.

"Here's your test script for our last test. I'm very disapointed in some of you. After all my efforts to teach you, some still failed. I'll be dealing with those fools that failed today." He says and the class becomes quiet.

"If I call your name, come out." He says and starts to call out different names.

"Sefiat Yekini" He says and my heart skipped a beat. The way he said my name sent chills into my body.

I failed. How do I explain this to my dad. He'll never understand.

I stand up and make my way to the front of the class.

"I'll be giving each of them 4 strikes of the cane" He says and starts beating each of us until it's my turn.

"I'm really disapointed in you." He says and starts hiting the cane in my bumbum. As he hits me, tears roll down my eyes. I'm not crying because of the pain of the cane, I'm used to beatings. I'm crying because of the disappointment in his tone, because of the fact that he doesn't care about me anymore, because of the fact that I failed, because of the thought of what my dad will do when he sees that I failed a subject.

When he finished in our class, he walked out and our class teacher enters.

"Good Morning Ma" We all chorus...the time is just past 11am.

"Morning guys. Seat down while I give it your report card." She says and starts sharing the results. I wait for her to call my name but she doesn't.

"Sefiat, you'll follow me to my office when I'm done here." She says and I nod at her. I pray it's not about something bad.

"You guys have to put more effort into your studies. Most of you passed but you can all do better. I hope that your next results will be better then this one. Enjoy your holiday and dint forget to read." She says and walks out. I also walk out behind her, following her to her office.

Once we're in her office, she closes the door and faces me.

"Sefiat what's wrong?" She asks and I remain quiet, my gaze on the floor.

"Your grades are reducing. I know that you are not like this. Something is wrong somewhere. You're an A student and it's surprising to see you havig low grades." She says.

" Nothing is wrong Ma. I'll work harder " I reply her, looking at anywhere but her face.

" I know something is wrong. Make sure to sort it out so it won't affect your education. You're also free to talk to me about it." She says and I nod at her.

" You can go" She says, giving me my results. I collect it and walk out of the office straight to the girls toilet.

Once I'm in the toilet, I meet the new teacher, Miss Tolani , washing her hands. She's the one that had been moving with Mr Olapeju for the past few days. I make an attempt to step out before she sees me but unfortunately she's sees me.

" Stay. I need to talk to you." She says and i reluctantly walk towards her.

"You're the girl that has been throwing herself on Mr Olapeju. Aren't you?" She says but I remain quiet.

"Let me give you an advise. Stay away from him. I'm sure you won't want to be expelled from this school. He doesn't love you. He just pities you and that can't last. He'll never see you as a woman. He sees you as a child, as a student. If you love yourself, you'll stay away." She hisses and walks away.

Tears pool in my eyes but I blink them away. She's not lying. She just said a truth that I'm finding it hard to believe.

He doesn't like me. He just pities me. He can never see me as a woman. I'mma child to him.

She's right.

I walk out of the toilet only to be hit by one of my classmates.

"Sefiat. Thank God I've found you." She says panting.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"Your Dad is around. He's downstairs and pretty pissed." She says and I smile sadly at her.

"Thanks" I say to her and make my way huridly to my class to grab my bag.

With my result in my hand, I walk downstairs. Once I'm in the school compound, I search around for his car then I make my way towards it.

"Pass your result." My Dad says immediately I enter the car.

I pass it to him and the driver starts the cat , driving to the hostel.

Vote Comment Share 💥❤️💋