Chapter Thirty-six

Monday October 26, 2020

Fikayo's POV

Sounds of rushing feet fill the hallway. It's time for assembly. The students, especially the Juniors are running towards the assembly ground. Some students are walking in groups and chatting, some are walking alone like me. The staircase is crowded and jumbled up due to the amount of students trying to pass through.

The midterm break is this week. I guess that's why most of the students are abnormally hyper today. Who won't be happy to be free from school for some days? Everyone apart from the old me.

The old me liked school more that home. I always wanted to be in school. I grabbed every opportunity to go to school. But now its the  opposite.

The new me just wants to leave this school wall and curl up on my bed with a pillow cuddled to my chest and my earphones on. Being here in this school makes me feel suffocated. Everything here brings back memories of old times which I don't want to have.

Passing through the staircase is a very hard tasks due to the crowd of other students that are also trying to pass. They keep pushing at each other including me. After few minutes, I'm off the stairs and I sigh in relief. I quietly make my way to the assembly ground I'm the SS3 girls line.

I stand alone deep in thoughts as the assembly takes place. The Principal comes to the podium and starts talking about different things that I don't pay attention to. As time goes on, a sentence catches my mind.

"We lost one of our mothers recently." The principal says and everywhere becomes quiet.

This reminds me of my mom's death. Looking at my life after her death, noone deserves to lose a parent. Bother parents are important. I feel sorry for the children. I pray they are able to move on and get over the death.

"It's the mother of one of our SS3 students, Adura Olatunji." The principal says and the murmur starts at the mention of the name.

So that was why he was absent for a week. It's surprising that he came to school today, I saw him this morning. When my mom died, I was a mess for weeks.

He's strong. Father Lord keep him strong for his family. I know he's the first born and he's siblings are really young. He'll have to be strong for them.

"Let's take a minute of silence to commemorate the lost soul. Let's pray she finds peace." The principal says and everyone becomes quiet.

God, let her soul rest in perfect peace. Watch over her family. Strength her husband. Help them to get over her death.

"May her soul rest in peace." The principal says after 1 minute and choruses of "Amen" fills the air.

"Now there's something I'll like to address today. Remember I said a student was suspended for involving I'm sexual activities. Turns out that the video was fake. It was edited by one of the girls classmate who disliked her." The Principal says and low chattering starts among the students.

This reminds me of Sade and my heart clenches. I should be angry at her but I just can't bring myself to. She could have answered my calls and told me what happened. Instead she ended out friendship through a text message. That's what pisses my off most. But then she could have a reason.

"We tried our best to train all of you but some of you decided to behave like goats. And I'm promising you all that anyone caught will be severely punished. Tolu Adejare step out." The principal says.

I turn my head towards where Tolu is standing beside Olamide and those deeper life girls. They pat her back, Olamide also pats Tolu's back. The sight makes me angry. Why the hell is she patting her back. She did something bad. I guess Tolu must have filled Olamide with her nonsense Tales.

Tolu walks slowly towards where the principal stands in front of all us. Once she's beside him, he turns to her, pointing his hands at her.

" This student here went ahead to make a fake video to implicate another student. She reported herself to me few days ago but then can her remorse undo the past?" The principal says.

" No. It can't. The poor girl that was framed now lays on a bed fighting for her life all because of a student's jealousy. Sade tried to kill herself due to depression and now she's in a coma with a very low chance of surviving." The principal says and at that moment it feels like the world is crashing down on me.

No...that's not possible. Sade can't be in a coma. No...No.

The principal keeps talking but my mind is faraway in emptiness.

I can't believe she's in a coma. I was almost hating in her not knowing what she was going through.

God! I've been selfish. I should have tried harder to get to her. I should have tried harder. I should have tried harder to reach her. I can't lose Sade t the arms of death.

Father Lord please. I beg of you, preserve her soul.

Immediately the Principal dismisses us, I find myself walking to the toilet.

This is all my fault. If she wasn't my friend then Tolu won't have disliked her. It's all my fault.  If she wasn't my friend, she'd still be here healthy.

Inside the toilet, I face the wall, placing my hands on the wall. Tears fkow down my eyes. I've been crying too much this days. I want to stop but I can't. Why does everything keep happening to me and those around me.

Why?

"Your tears can't bring her out of the coma." A voice says and I turn to face the owner of the voice which I recognize as Miss Mary, a computer teacher.

"I know you want to cry but your tears won't solve anything, instead you'll cause problems for yourself. Just pray for her. I'm sure God will listen to your prayers and by his Grade she'll survive." She says, hugging me.

I hug her back tightly then I pull back to wipe my tears.

"Ok...ok Ma." I say.

"I know things are not going well with you this days. I noticed. Just know that you're free to come to my office to talk about anything at anytime." She says and I smile at her...the type of smile that you give even though you're sad.

"Thank You Ma." I reply her.

"It's ok. We'll talk later. I'm sure you have a class to be in." She says and walks away.

Vote Comment Share 💥❤️💋