22. Lost

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The scent of alcohol and antiseptic filled the boy's nostrils. His nose instinctively scrunched up distastefully, though he never let go of his mother's arm. Now that the officer had mentioned her possible illness, he couldn't deny that his mother was indeed acting a little bit weird.

It scared him so much that his grip unconsciously tightened around her arm. The officer led them both to a room, where a doctor was sitting.

"Ah, hello. What may I help you with?" The doctor smiled.

Yoongi gulped and looked at the officer, who smiled softly before meeting the doctor's eyes. "I would like to check the boy's mother." He gestured to the two of them. "His mother seems to be showing symptoms of Alzhiemer's disease."

The doctor's smile faltered a bit, but maintained to keep a lightened tone. "Ah, of course. Come here, ma'am."  She gently motioned them to go nearer.

As Yoongi led both him and his mother, the officer placed a hand on his shoulder then spoke lowly. "The bill's on me, boy."

Shortly, it was only the mother and son, and the doctor inside the room. The eerie silence made Yoongi uncomfortable whilst the doctor was busy writing something in her clipboard. Meanwhile, his mother was staring at the wall occasionally, then the next second, she would be admiring the interior of the clinic. Yoongi's heart began to ache, afraid that the officer's suspicion may be true.

"So, Mrs. Min." The doctor began.

"It's Ms. Min." His mother chirped. "My husband died several years ago." She smiled brightly, as if it was a normal thing to do and react when you lose someone.

Yoongi gulped, placing his hand on his mother's arm in worry. The doctor, on the other hand, shook her head. "There is definitely something wrong with her."

Yoongi closed his eyes momentarily to get himself together. "So Ms. Min, how are you feeling?"

"Great, actually. Now that my son is here with me." Her smile soon turned into a pout. "But I don't know why my son brought me here."

The boy was relieved that a small smile made its way to his lips upon hearing his mother saying that he is her son, indicating that she remembers. It gave huge hope to Yoongi that his mother could be cured.

"Ms. Min." The doctor briefly paused. "Do you know where you live?"

Yoongi watched his mother as she frowned a bit and tapped her chin thoughtfully. "I don't know..." She lowered her head. "I...I just wanted to grocery shop and bring home some fried chicken for my son, but..." She sniffled a bit. "I don't know where he is that's why...that's why—"

"Eomma." Yoongi whispered painfully. "I'm here. I'm right here."

The doctor wore a saddened expression on her face, though it quickly dissipated to maintain her composure. "Ms. Min, you're son is here with you now so you don't have to worry."

"O-Okay." She croaked out. The woman faced the boy, though she looked past behind him as if the wall was the most interesting item to her. "My dear Yoongi, I can see you, thank goodness. Let's now go back home and eat fried chicken—"