A High Fever - Chris Evans

You wake up with a pounding headache. Groaning, you put a hand on your head, rubbing your temples with your index finger and thumb. You glanced at the clock to notice you woke up twenty past seven as usual. You closed your eyes, letting your hand drop down.

The headache only got worse as you got up. Trying to take a deep breath, you notice your nose was stuffy. Sighing---more like coughing---you got out of bed, letting cold air take over the heat radiating off of you. Noticing that the cold air didn't help the heat radiating off you, you decided to take a cold shower. Hoping it would help, you didn't call your fiancé, Chris Evans.

Stumbling over to the bathroom and stripping of your clothes---what was on, at least---you started the shower. Not caring about the burning sensation of the cold water in your body, you closed your eyes. You tried to relax, but when you opened your eyes, your headache came like a tidal wave.

You started to massage your shampoo on your scalp, thinking that it might ease the pain. You rinse your hair out before moving onto to your body. Massage every muscle, you finish your shower still feeling how you did when you woke up.

If not, you felt worse.

You wrapped a fluffy towel around you and took a step forward.

The ground seemed to shift under you, making you stumble. Your head pounded as you grabbed the sink, trying to balance on your feet. The world started to spin when you let go, making you hold on tighter. You felt black spots start to take over your vision. You started to panic and screamed for Chris.

"Chris!" You heard his footsteps and his voice, but you couldn't make sense of what he was saying. "Chris," you mumbled before the lights around you turned off.

Chris was making your breakfast for you and himself. He had gotten up at the crack of dawn and couldn't go back to sleep. So he decided to get up and start making breakfast since you would skip breakfast if he didn't make it.

He had looked down at you, sleeping peacefully. Not wanting to wake you up, he had tried his best not to make much noise. Luckily, you hadn't woken up and he could surprise you with breakfast.

He hadn't had heard you wake up, so when you had screamed his voice he was surely surprised. But your voice had drained the colour out of his face.

It was a blood curling scream that made his hair stand on edge. His hands stopped working, dropping the knife he had been using to cut bananas. His head whipped towards your scream and he ran. Faster than he ever had.

Shouting your name once, he made his way to your shared bedroom.

You had screamed for him before to kill a spider or insect, but never had it been like this. Never had it almost stopped his heart. Never had it felt so horrible.

He felt the minutes blur together.

He ran to the bathroom when he didn't see you in the bedroom. There, he saw you lying in the floor with only a towel around you---which he could care less about. Thinking fast, he picked you up bridal style. He felt the heat radiating off of you and knew that it was a fever. A high fever probably since you fainted.

Unlike his heart, his head was functioning enough to make him lay you on the bed and wait for you to wake up. He called a close friend who was a doctor since going to the hospital was definitely not an option---too many people would swarm him and the paparazzi would assume the worst. His friend agreed to come over and check on you, making him sigh and ask what he should be doing. While Chris was waiting, he dressed you in his hoodie which covered most of you---at least the important parts.

Not ten minutes had passed since his call when his friend arrived with Scott. Chris had called Scott in hope that he would be able to calm him down.

His friend checked up on you and told Chris that you had, indeed, a high fever.

"She'll be fine and up in a few minutes," he told Chris and Scott. "Give a week of rest, no stress. Some painkillers will help as well as her daily medicine." Scott patted Chris's shoulder and nodded his head.

"Just a fever," Scott tried to reassure Chris, "and we've been through many of those." Chris nodded his head weakly at his brother. His friend left after giving him the prescriptions.

Chris hadn't moved from his spot next to you since he found you. Scott tried to tell him to eat but he wouldn't budge until you woke up.

You woke up with the headache again. Groaning, you opened your eyes to see Chris smiling with tears in his eyes. You smiled painfully back, letting him know that you were in pain. He leaned down to kiss you before he whispered softly to you.

"You scared the shit out of me, baby. I was so fucking scared." He let his hand go behind your head while the other grasped your waist. He rested his forehead against yours, closing his eyes. "Don't do that again, please. Please, never do that again. Please..." His voice had dropped down so low that you could barely hear him. If he wasn't this near you, you wouldn't have heard any of it. Your hand cupped his cheek and you peaches his lips.

"I won't," you promised. His baby blue eyes opened up and gazed into yours. Seeing they were bloodshot, you wanted to make him laugh. "Your gonna get sick if you stay this close and let me tell you that I would burn the kitchen down trying to make soup." He tried to glare at you but he ended up throwing his head back, laughing.

"I remember you burned the mac 'n cheese," he said between laughs, wiping the tears. "And you took it from a packet." You smiled.

"You don't have to rub it in my face," you told him. He only laughed harder as you giggled at his antics. Rolling your eyes, you moved to sit up which caught his attention. Giggling, he shook his head and pushed you down.

"Doc said to rest and that's what's going to happen," he said softly. You smiled and kissed his cheek.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Yeah, yeah. The whole world knows you two lovebirds are getting married." Scott rolled his eyes playfully before leaving.