{Chapter 24}

Keigo hadn't let you leave his side after that. He would keep you up in his office with him. You would've preferred being alone. Keigo made your guilt worse. Being near him made you feel awful. And yet, here you were. Sitting in his lap. Trembling. Trying not to cry. Keigo wasn't paying attention. He was reading through some paperwork absentmindedly. 

You wanted to go into the corner and cry. You wanted to curl up into a little ball and stay there. You wanted to disappear. You didn't want to be near Keigo. You knew his lunchbreak started soon. That would be worse. He'd act as if nothing happened. He'd act like he didn't know why you were upset. Even though Rena's eyes were in a jar in his desk. Even though Ms. Joke's eye was there, too. Even though Rena's heart was there. Perfectly preserved as a wet specimen. 

Keigo had one arm around your waist, holding onto you. He wasn't taking any chance of losing you. He wasn't going to let anyone take you from him. You wished things could be different. You wished you could at least have time to mourn. Have time to think. But Keigo wouldn't give you space. He refused to leave you alone. 

A soft sob escaped your lips as you started to cry. Keigo noticed, putting his paperwork down. "Hey, hey. It's okay. Shh. I'm here." He comforted, gently wiping away your tears. He held you to his chest. "It's alright. You're okay. I've got you." He spoke in a soft tone. One that would've been comforting if you didn't hate him. 

You tried to push Keigo away, your crying worsening. "Calm down. It's okay. You're safe." He said, still holding you to his chest. He pet you gently in an attempt to ease you. Yet, it didn't help. It made things worse. You struggled uselessly, trying to get away from him. You would've rather been in the corner. 

Keigo held you until you stopped struggling. "It's alright. You're okay. You're safe." He attempted to comfort, watching you slowly calm down. Except, you weren't calming down. Just because you'd stopped struggling didn't mean you weren't getting worse. You trembled pathetically, breaking down. 

"Hey, it's okay. Shh, shh. I'm here. I've got you." Keigo said softly, doing his best. It hadn't occurred to him that he was the problem. Tears fell down your face seemingly endlessly. "M-My fault..." You muttered, hugging onto yourself. Keigo adjusted his hold on you. "Hey, it's okay. They deserved it, it's alright." He comforted. 

It wasn't much longer until Keigo's lunch break started. He picked you up, walking up to the roof. "Let's go somewhere we haven't gone yet. How does that sound?" He asked, keeping his voice in a soft and gentle tone. You didn't respond. He took your silence as a yes, taking off. He kept closer to the ground this time, probably to help ease your anxiety. 

Keigo landed in a small clearing surrounded by sakura trees. The soft pink petals of the blossoms littered the grass. He sat down, holding you in his lap. He comforted you, but it was on a much lower scale. He was starting to let you calm down on your own. The serene scenery definitely helped. 

You eventually calmed down, moving out of Keigo's lap and sitting in the grass. "I thought you might like it here. Just the two of us." He noted, catching one of the petals in his palm as it fell. It was a nice place, sure, but you would've preferred to have been here alone. Or with Rena. You nodded.  

"I used to come here a lot, especially when I was thinking about you. This place always made me feel at peace, so I thought it might help you." Keigo explained, smiling softly. That was surprisingly thoughtful, coming from him. "T-Thank you..." You muttered, although you didn't see a reason for thanking him. He'd ruined your life. "I never meant for things to get so far out of hand. I just... lose control sometimes. I don't want it to happen again. I'll do my best to prevent it." He said, looking down at the floor with slight guilt.

You looked up at Keigo. Did he actually mean that? He seemed genuine. "I never wanted to hurt anyone. I just wanted you. That's it." He mentioned, plucking at the grass. You could kind of understand what that was like. Though probably not on a scale like that. "I want us to have a normal relationship. I want us to work. I want that more than anything." There was not even a hint of deception in his tone. He was speaking from the heart. 

A falling blossom landed on Keigo's head. He didn't seem to notice. You giggled softly, finding it funny, if not a little cute. He looked around, trying to figure out what you were laughing at. The flower fell into his lap. "I love the blossoms. They've always been one of my favorites because it seems like no matter what, they always look so beautiful. So graceful as they fall." He mentioned, a little spaced out.

"I think that was why I became so obsessed with you. You were so incredible. So perfect. And, in a way, you were like my cherry blossom. My own little slice of beauty. Of grace." Keigo stared at the flower absentmindedly, tilting his head to the side. His thoughts and reasoning were a lot deeper than you thought they'd be. "The petals themselves are all unique. Like people. Some are rougher. Others are softer, kinder. Yet, each has its own special features. To me, you were just the most perfect. The only person I could truly see myself with." He explained. In a way, his thoughts were almost poetic. 

Keigo blew the flower out of his hand, watching it blow in the wind. "I guess, in a way, you are my cherry blossom. My piece of perfection and grace. And I feel like it's my job to protect you. To keep you safe, rather than let you fall down to the ground that is the dark world we live in..." He trailed off, sighing softly. "Sorry, that was cheesy as hell, wasn't it?" He asked, laughing a little. You shook your head. "I liked it." You responded.

"Well, in that case, there's a lot more where that came from, sweetheart~"