{Chapter 19}

You fell asleep on the couch that night, Keigo holding you to his chest. True to his word, he seemed to have forgotten what you'd done. Rather, he just pretended it hadn't happened. Keigo woke up early in the morning, seeing you next to him. He liked that. Having you at his side after everything. You looked so peaceful. So adorable.

Keigo stared at you silently, softly smiling. He resisted the urge to play with your hair. His sweet little baby bird. So perfect. You stirred, nuzzling into his chest. He held you close, fawning over how cute you were. You were gripped onto his shirt. You hadn't meant to do it, it was just a habit. 

You woke up, still buried in Keigo's embrace. "Morning, baby bird~" He purred. You whimpered, wishing you could push away from him. "M-Morning..." You trailed off, trembling. He smiled softly. "I'm taking you back to the agency today. I'll let you pick your own clothes, okay?" He kissed your forehead softly. 

Keigo let go of you, allowing you to get up. "Go right to your room. We wouldn't want you snooping again." He warned, leaning back on the couch. You walked back to your room, shaking a little. You closed the door behind yourself, picking something to wear. It only took you a few minutes to change. Once you were done, you walked back into the living room. 

Keigo was standing by the door, fixing up his hair and such. He smirked once he caught sight of you. "Hey there, baby bird. You ready~?" He asked, looking down at you. Hesitantly, you nodded. He took your hand as the two of you went outside. The sun hadn't risen yet, but it would any minute. 

Without any warning, Keigo picked you up and took off. "I don't appreciate that little stunt you pulled yesterday." He said, keeping his gaze forward. You held onto him tightly. You were scared of flying. Rather, you were scared of falling. "You need to listen to my orders. I know what's best for you and I don't want you getting hurt." He seemed a little mad as he spoke.

Keigo dropped you. It wasn't clear whether it was an accident or on purpose. You yelped, closing your eyes. Keigo caught you. "Gotcha." He said, continuing on his way to the agency. You trembled in his grasp, clinging to him tightly. "Please, d-don't do that again..." You muttered desperately. He only smirked. 

"No promises." Keigo said in return. It didn't take very long for him to reach the agency. Instead of putting you down, he carried you to the lower level. He scanned his ID card and gently placed you in one of the chairs. "I'll be back during my lunch break. Rena will be here soon. Behave, alright?" He kissed the top of your hand, leaving the room.

When Rena came in that morning, she didn't bother to stop by her desk. Keigo was already in his office, so she didn't have to worry about running into him. She walked down to the lower level, scanning her ID card and going into the room you were in. Once she saw your state, she dropped her clipboard and rushed over.

Rena sat down next to you, gently hugging you. "Shh, shh. It's okay. You're safe." She comforted, holding you close. You held onto her, shaking. "H-He dropped me again... I thought I was g-going to die." You muttered. Rena rubbed your back. "He's not here right now. It's okay. I've got you." She said softly, hoping to help calm you down.

Eventually, Rena managed to do so. You laid your head down on her lap as she pet you softly. "Everything's okay. Nothing will happen to you while I'm here." She comforted, watching your peaceful form. She was glad she could help. It didn't take very long for you to drift off to sleep. You just felt so safe. 

Rena didn't dare to move, other than brushing your hair out of your face. She looked down at you with a soft smile. "You're my hiraeth." She muttered softly, cupping your cheek in her hand. "Even if I can't have you, I'll do my best to make sure things get better." She wished she could help more. Don't get her wrong, she was glad she could help at all. She just wished she could do more. 

You slept peacefully in Rena's lap, occasionally nuzzling into her. A soft blush coated her face as she watched over you. She'd make sure you had something to eat and drink once you woke up. Your wellbeing was important to her. You were important to her. "Maybe if things were different, we could be together. Maybe in a another timeline, we are." She muttered, smiling softly. 

"I'll do everything I can. I promise." Rena brushed your hair out of your face again, being as gentle as possible. She didn't want to hurt you. A soft smile came to your face as you nuzzled into her. You felt safe. You felt happy. You knew that Rena wouldn't hurt you. She was a good person. You could tell that much.

Rena didn't talk after that, letting you sleep. She took off her cardigan, putting it over you so you wouldn't get cold. You snuggled up underneath it, comfortable. She smiled, glad she could help. She made sure it covered up as much of you as possible. She wanted you to be comfortable. It was the least she could do.

The two of you stayed in this position for a long time. Rena would occasionally adjust her cardigan or move your hair to make sure you stayed comfortable. Technically, it was her job right now. It wasn't like she minded, anyway. She enjoyed it. It made her feel useful. Like she really could help. 

"Oh, baby bird.
You really need to learn to listen to me.
I only want what's best for you, after all.
Soon enough, it's to my arms you'll flee.

I'll make you happy. 
I'll be everything you need.
You'll only want me. I'll be everything to you.
And if anyone tries to get in my way, well... you know what I'll do."

Hiraeth: homesickness to a home that you can't return to or that never was.