He knew all the right words to say to get me to stay, and it worked because I stayed right by his side. He was a master manipulator, but I was too naive to realize it. I had just lost my father, I didn't want to lose my boyfriend as well.

I comforted him that night as we laid in bed. Even though I was the one that lost a loved one, lost my only living parent, and almost got raped by the boy lying next to me because he couldn't take no for an answer. I stayed up and comforted him until he peacefully fell asleep in my arms as I laid awake in tears, grieving.

The following week, the day of the funeral was the last I'd ever seen of him. I couldn't take it anymore, all the lies and manipulation just for him to go behind my back and betray me after everything I'd done for him, enough was enough. I left my home town right after that and never looked back. Broke all ties with everyone I've ever known and focused solely on my father's company that I newly inherited.

I never thought my past would come to bite me in the ass until now.

Brandon finally released his hand from around my mouth and flipped me around, my back now pressing against the wall.

"What the fuck do you want?" I finally whispered, feeling my heart hammer out of my chest as I looked up at his towering figure. Deep purple bags hung low under his dark eyes as if he hadn't slept in years.

His face that was once full of life and color was now pale and sunken in, his blonde hair was greasy, sticking to his sweaty forehead, and his lips were so chapped they were starting to split open. He literally looked like death.

"Don't act like you didn't miss me," he croaked, flashing me a mouthful of yellow teeth. If I hadn't recognized his voice, I would've never thought this was the Brandon I dated, the Brandon that took pride in his appearance.

My body started to tremble as he closed the distance between us, lowering his head until it was level with mine. My head spun as soon as his sour stench hit my nostrils with the faint scent of beer, forcing me to hold my breath as he stared down at me.

"What happened to you?" I dared to ask, feeling my teeth chatter in fear as I frantically began searching for my phone in my pocket but keeping my eyes trained on him. If he figured out I was attempting to call for help, that'd be it.

"You happened to me, Stazi, you fucking happened to me," he growled, slamming his fist against the brick wall right by the side of my head. I flinched back and squeezed my eyes shut as sweat began dripping down my forehead along with the blood from my injured head. My heart was throbbing in my ears, loud and irregular, but I barely heard it; my mind was too busy clouded with fear.

"That's funny," I chuckled bitterly, forcing my eyes open to look at the monster inches away from my face while I triple clicked the side button on my phone to activate the SOS feature. "I distinctly remember you fucking my best friend in the back of your car, not the other way around."

I watched as his cracked lips curled in anger, followed by the slight twitch in his eye, a clear indication that his thin patience had run out with me.

"What the fuck did you say to me?" He snarled, wrapping his large hand around my throat and lifted me off the ground, completely constricting my airway.

My feet thrashed around, desperately trying to find the solid ground I once stood on as my lungs screamed at me to breathe, but it was impossible. I clawed my fingers at his hands uselessly, but in the process, my phone, the same phone I was using to call for help, slipped out of my pocket and landed directly at his feet.

Fuck.

"And what do we have here?" Brandon glanced down at the ground and released his hold on me to pick up my misplaced item. As soon as he saw the SOS screen counting down the seconds until help arrived, he hurled my phone against the brick wall, smashing it into tiny bits and pieces—smashing away any chance of anyone finding me until it was too late.