Chapter 1: [not so] Quiet Before the Storm

Argh! Where are they? Crunching noises filled the air as a kid, around 17 years old walked through a scrawny, scraggly forest. This place was always fit for a horror movie. He thought as he continued on his depressing walk, heading towards where you could hear the water hitting against rocks. He sighed. "I swear, when I find them, and one of them is it, I'm going to go and hide in that secret cave."  He hissed through his white, smiley face mask, which obscured almost his entire face, but failed to fully cover his mouth. 

     His hair was dirty blonde, and he was wearing a camouflage jacket and a dull green shirt. His pants were plain dark blue, with a few rips and tears here and there, from all the exploring and adventure he did in his free time. His shoes were the only thing not green or blue about him. His shoes were black, with grey and white streaks and shoelaces. They didn't go with his outfit well, but then were shoes, so he was still happy. He sighed, fiddling with his black leather gloves, with green seams. As the roar of the river started growing louder, he suddenly froze. 

     There. Now, the real question is if they're both hiding there, or just one of them. Wait, it might not even be one of them. It could be some kid whose heart is about to stop because of how hard I'm going to scare him. The teen thought anxiously. He shook away the thought, and mentally trapped it in a box, and threw it away. The person then allowed himself a wide grin. "MAN. I THINK I HEARD SOMEONE FROM BEHIND ME. HUH. I SHOULD GO SEE IF IT'S GEORGE OR SAPNAP."  The kid said, awfully loudly, as I noisily stomped away from the river. Then, he quietly lowered his feet into a leaf-less patch of ground and grinned. He was sheltered from view by a large willow tree. It was one of the big ones, too. 

     The forest near the city he lived in wasn't too big but wasn't too small. It had a variety of trees too, which was cool. There were a few willows, birch trees, oak trees, spruce trees, and other types of trees. The trees all had something in common though. The lack of vibrance. They screamed one word: BORING. It still made for some pretty interesting games of Manhunt. A game he and two of his friends, Sapnap and George had made together. It was practically hide-and-go-seek tag, but with a bunch of other rules too. Today, they were playing Manhunt without all the extra, complicated rules, which basically resembled capture the flag but he was the only one being hunted, and everyone else could be tagged by the speedrunner infinite times, but he had to get the flag before one of his friends touched him, or else he'd lose. 

     The teenager quickly but quietly climbed up the willow tree that protected him from sight and looked over, in the direction of the river. 

     The river was a bit less than fifty meters in width. In the center of a part of the river, was where he had seen the tuff of brown hair sticking up from one of the large boulders that, along with five others,  made a circle. The rocks were really peculiar though. They had flat bits, nooks, crannies, and other spots that allowed you to put items in, and sit down on. In the center of the circle, water from the river seeped in, making a small, meter in diameter, circular pool or tub. The water there was slower than the river, because the water had to seep in from the river, and then seep out. The path to get there though, wasn't as pretty. It was a series of smaller boulders, that had been moved into place, in a line. If the top of the glorified rock didn't break the surface of the water, there were slabs of stone placed on top. There were a total of five 'stepping stones', each was placed far enough apart, that you needed a bit more momentum than just a leap to progress to the next 'stepping boulder'. Thankfully, the kid had skills in running and jumping. Especially with obstacles, and besides, the farthest gap between the rocks were from the shore to the first rock. The teen kept watching the top of the rocks, for any more giveaways of someone being there.