J

Flashback
____\\\\______

"How in the hell can you defuse a bomb but not be able to pick a birthday present for a man who will really just have it already anyway—,"

"Shush!"
I raise my finger to his face to cut him off.
"I'm looking. Don't interrupt my process."

I could practically feel the eye roll, and I could hear him mumbling under his breath.
"Yes how could I forget. It is a great crime to interrupt Brianna Blade when she is in deep focus for a birthday present."
I glance over to see him raise his hands in defense.
"My bad."

I scoff and press my lips together so I won't laugh abruptly and obnoxiously in the middle of the otherwise "seemingly" empty pawn shop.

"And what the fuck are we doing in a pawn shop?"
He asks, doing a full circle to look around the shop.

I smile as I look up and glance around myself, taking in the familiar atmosphere.

"Well if I couldn't find a gift somewhere else in Gotham this is the best place to look."
I stated in a matter a fact tone.
"This is the place that has everything because most people don't know that it's here."

"Jesus Christ why do you always talk like a fuckin philosopher."

When Jason practically jumped out of his skin I couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably.

"See,"
I pointed at the new voice.
"Tom is the true master."

Tom grunts as he makes his way over to us, taking his place behind the glass cases.
"So what are you looking for kid?"

"She doesn't know."
Jason retorts while examining some pocket knives.

I give him a small glare before smiling back at Tom sweetly.
"Ignore him. I need a gift for Bruce, and I'm browsing to get an idea of what I should get him."

"Aka she doesn't know."

"Shut up."
I groan before laughing softly.

"Well kid..as always you're lucky. I just got a new shipment of all sorts of things. Which could probably help you find something."

I smile widely at him and follow close behind to a case that was in fact filled with things I hadn't seen here before.
But something particular caught my eye.

I gasped dramatically— getting Tom and Jason's attention.

"That."
I point at shining gold inside the case.
"Jason come look what we have to get."

"Oh god. If it's pink you know Bruce won't take it–,"

Jason stops talking once he gets a glimpse of what I'm looking at. Which only makes my smile grow as I watch his eyes light up.

Tom chuckles when he finds our line of sight.
"Well look at that,"
He grabs the thing that's caught our attention.
"Isn't that ironic."

"We'll take it Tom."
I smile widely, earning one back.
"It's perfect."

"This was supposed to be Bruce's gift trip-,"

"Shut up and let me spoil you Jay."

"There's no point in arguing with her son. She'll win."
Tom says blankly before grabbing a bag and opening the cash register. And without even glancing he takes the money from my hand that I have out for him.