Chapter 25: Surprise

Start from the beginning

Right at that time, Miss Smith came back into the room I was sitting in.

''Well! Everything seems to check out, So long as Aspen is okay with it, He can stay with you until we find a suitable family who wants to adopt him'' She explained, Setting her clip board that I hadn't even noticed her have before down on the table.

''Are you okay with staying here?'' Emory asked me, His eyes boring into the side of my head.

''Emory! You didn't even ask him before hand?'' Miss Smith chided, Her smile dropping briefly to turn into a disapproving frown.

I felt my throat tighten slightly, The familiar fear I always felt when my parents would fight was starting to claw at my chest.

''I-I'm fine with staying here'' I squeaked out quickly, Wanting to end this before I had to witness a fight.

Emory glanced over at me briefly, He took one look at me before his shoulders tensed up slightly.

''Molly, Is that all you need?'' Emory asked, His voice curt, Clearly, Despite his choice of words, He was not going to accept anything but a 'yes' from her.

She arched an eyebrow but her smile returned, ''Yes, Yes, You'll need to take him down to the courthouse sometime this week to finalize all this though'' She said, Handing him some papers before looking back at me.

''Well! It was just lovely meeting you Aspen, If Emory gives you any trouble, Give me a call and I'll sort him out'' She said happily, Using a very loud stage whisper for the last part, Clearly trying to cheer me up as she handed me a card with her name and number on it.

I instead, Took what she said seriously, Fear spiking in my heart again.

Wait, Has he hurt people under his care before? Is he going to hurt me?

With a sigh, Emory started to shoo Molly to the entry way.

Soon enough, She was gone, Leaving me to my confused and very frightened thoughts of what he could easily do to me.

After all, No one would notice if I were to suddenly disappear. . .

No one would cry if I was gone. . .

He could easily lock me up in here, Leave me until I starve to death. . .

As my thoughts spiraled, Emory foolishly laid his hand on my shoulder gently, Causing me to violently flinch away at his gloved contact.

My frightened eyes snapped up to meet his concerned brown gaze.

He slowly and gently placed his hand back on my shoulder, His eyes never letting mine go as he did so.

I broke the eye contact first, My attention turning back to my suddenly very interesting jeans.

I started to absently count the threads in my jeans as I felt the couch dip ever so slightly as Emory sat down beside me.

I swallowed nervously, My body tensing up as he remained silent beside me.

I could feel my heart beating in my throat as fear clenched at me.

Is he angry? Is that why he's not saying anything?

I held my breath, My hands tightly gripping at my wrists.

The slight sting from my grip on my still newly healed wounds made me wince slightly.

Emory let out a tired sigh before moving closer to me.

I froze in panicked fear as I could feel his warmth seeping into my body as he sat next to me, Close enough that our arms were touching.

I felt his gloved hands gently grab mine, Pulling my hands away from my bandaged wrists.