Chapter 41

3rd person's POV

      They felt the entire cavern start shaking, chucks of cavern ceiling starting to rain down around them. Nico managed to get to one knee, then stand, a whirlwind of debris and golden light swirling around the trio. Reyna's hand still on Nico's ankle, pouring as much energy into him as she could. They relied on each other's power, neither the superior, sharing and combining their powers to weaken the titan. A glowing crevice cracked open at Koios' feet, spilling a red luminescence into the collapsing chamber. With an immeasurable effort, Nico managed to force Koios to one knee, the titan's strength crumbling before them. Then with a yell he twisted, ripping the titan's sword from his grip. He grabbed Koios' throat and smashed him against the crevice mouth. "NO!" : bellowed the titan struggling against Nico's grip. The titan's body started to give off faint wisps of golden vapour that were instantly sucked into the crevice. 

     "For such a smart guy," : Nico growled, "letting us live as long as you did was a really dumb move." Nico held out his hand, and his sword spun into his grip. "You can't!" : screamed Koios, "I am immortal!" Nico glanced down at Reyna, who gave him a confident smirk. Right then, even though she was smeared with dust, grime and blood, Nico could swear she was more beautiful than Aphrodite herself. "Guess it wasn't enough." : Nico laughed, then brought down his blade on the titan's neck. Koios exploded into golden mist. The crevice hissed, sucking the mist in, and then closed as if it had never been there. Nico felt the grip at his ankle loosen. "We did it." : Reyna laughed. Nico collapsed next to her, "Damn right we did." : he chuckled. They weren't out of danger yet. The exploding titan had further weakened the cave that had already taken a hit from their fight. The entire room was shaking uncontrollably, pieces of rock the size of dining tables raining down. 

     "I have to shadow travel us out!" : yelled Nico above the sound of the place collapsing around them. "You can't," she shouted back, "the effort will kill you no matter how far you go! I'm not going to let you die like that." The cavern shook again, even more violently than before. Nico reached forward, but Reyna yanked her hand back. However, she misjudged, Nico hadn't been reaching for her hand, he touched her cheek, with such tenderness and love that Reyna froze for a second. There was a massive cracking sound, and a piece of marble the size of a garage peeled away from the roof and plummeted towards them. This rock cast a deep dark shadow around them. Reyna stared desperately into Nico's chocolate brown eyes. "Don't you dare Nico, DON'T YOU FREAKIN DARE!" : she screamed. Nico gave her one last loving smile and they faded into darkness, just as the rock smashed onto the cavern floor.