Chapter 13

3rd person's POV

     Argus dropped Reyna off at a bus station on the outskirts of Manhattan. He grunted his goodbyes and sped off. From there she intended to take a bus to the pier, and take a ferry to San Juan, Puerto Rico. As she waited for the bus, Reyna thought about the prophecy, who the 'ancient foe' was and how she was supposed to tether her or him. Or who this other pursuer was, who would 'claim her heart'. Whoever it was, she would give them the fight of their lives. 

     When the right bus finally arrived, she boarded and went straight to the back, trying to draw as little attention to herself as possible. As the former praetor of Camp Jupiter, any monster would relish the opportunity to rip her to pieces. With just seven stops separating her from the pier, she hoped for an uneventful journey. Unfortunately, there was no way her quest was going to be that easy. At the second stop, she heard a strange but familiar sound, a metallic and then a hoofed footstep. She peeked around the seats and cursed in latin. 

     Five empousa clambered onto the bus, spreading themselves out amongst the bus seats, given away by the flames that flickered around their head. A sudden growl outside made her turn so suddenly she nearly fell out of her seat. She yanked a dagger from her belt, expecting to see a hellhound at the window, however it was merely a motorcycle gunning its engines. Her military experience and combat instincts prevented her from making a critical mistake - she studied the bike's passengers. Two big burly men, with giant grins on their faces.

     As the journey continued the bikers waved at passing cars, greeting all the drivers with bright and cheerful 'hello!'s and 'good morning!'s. No human had such impeccable manners, so of course the bikers weren't human. "Blemmyae." : Reyna thought, "Great, simply perfect." She had to focus on the empousai, as they were the more immediate threat. She turned back to the monsters before her. She couldn't risk an all out fight, there were mortal passengers, and the bus didn't give her much space to slash or swing a javelin. Throwing a knife on the other hand, would be perfect in this narrow but long space.