Chapter 31

Nico’s POV

     “GO!” : Hylla screamed, she turned and drew two swords, the golden chain belt at her waist glowing brightly. With a roar like an athenian drakon, she leaped five metres into the smoking wreckage of the doors. 'C'mon Neeks!" : Reyna yelled, she grabbed my hand and yanked me down a corridor. Several twists and turns later, we burst through a celestial bronze gate and then a simple oak door into… Reyna's childhood home? I turned to face her. "One of the emergency exits is our old house." : she explained, "It's uninhabited so it's perfect."  We set up camp in the main living room. Another explosion had shaken the house. Reyna went back into the tunnel, and had returned grim-faced. "Tunnels collapsed, we're stuck here." : she had reported. 

      I found some canned food in the pantry from the last time the amazons had used the house. However, Reyna was too worried to eat. "Last time the Amazon base was attacked, many of them died. I can't go back to help her, I don't even know if she's alive."  I pushed my bowl of spam across the table and scooted closer to her on one of the couches. "Hey, your sister's a badass," : I said reassuringly, "she can take care of herself. C’mere."  I pulled her into a warm embrace, and instantly I felt her relax, the tension pouring out of her. In the glittering moonlight sifting through the open window and falling delicately on her face, I thought she was more beautiful than ever before.