Chapter 5 - Obadiah's Secrets

Tony never came back after I asked for a drink.

Typical...

I hadn't seen him in a couple days and decided to go down to his workshop to see him. When I reach the end of the stairs, my eyes widen as glass was all over the floor. I slowly make my way inside to see Tony in some sort of iron suit. "What is going on here?" I ask.

Tony's head snaps over to me and he sighs, "Let's face it. This is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."

I gasp when I look his suit over, "Are those bullet holes?" I ask. Tony looks away and continues. I shake my head and turn around, walking back upstairs.

For the next couple of hours I try to distract myself, but I couldn't stop thinking about what I saw.

I march back downstairs and into his workshop, he immediately smiles at me. "Hey. You busy? You mind if I send you on an errand? I need you to go to my office. You're going to hack into the mainframe and you're going to retrieve all the recent shipping manifests. This is a lock chip. This'll get you in. It's probably under Executive Files. If not, they put it on a ghost drive, in which case you need to look for the lowest numeric heading." Tony hands me a small flash drive.

"And what do you plan to do with this information if I bring it back here?"

"Same drill. They've been dealing under the table, and I'm going to stop them. I'm going to find my weapons and destroy them." I look over to see the iron suit hanging up.

"Tony, you know that I would help you with anything, but I cannot help you if you're going to start all of this again." I scoff.

"There is nothing except this. There's no art opening. There is no benefit. There is nothing to sign. There is the next mission and nothing else."

"Is that so? Well, then, I quit." I throw the drive in the table and turn away from him.

"You stood by my side all these years while I reaped the benefits of destruction. And now that I'm trying to protect the people that I put in harm's way, you're going to walk out?" I turn to face him with tears in my eyes.

"You're going to kill yourself, Tony. I'm not going to be a part of it."

Tony sits down and looks away. "I shouldn't be alive, unless it was for a reason. I'm not crazy, Y/N. I just finally know what I have to do. And I know in my heart that it's right." He nods at me.

I take a deep breath and walk closer to him, picking up the drive and placing my hand softly against his cheek, he leans into my touch and smiles as I softly caress his cheek with my thumb. "You're all I have, too, you know." I pull away from him and grab my bag.

It took me around ten minutes to get to Stark Industries. I took the elevator up and walked carefully into empty office, I closed his door behind me and hurried to his computer. I plugged in the drive, letting it log on for me. I search through the drives and found the one he was talking about.

"Sector 16? What are you up to, Obadiah?" I whisper as multiple documents pop up. I click on a video to see a group of armed men with a man in the middle with a bag over their head. I type translate as it was speaking in a language I didn't know.

"You did not tell us that the target you paid us to kill was the great Tony Stark. As you can see, Obadiah Stane..." the video says. I gasp as I see Tony in the middle.

"Oh, my God."

"your deception and lies will cost you dearly. The price to kill Tony Stark has just gone up."

I click off the video and start loading everything in the drive.

"So...." I gasp and look up to see Obadiah standing in the doorway. "what are we going to do about this?" He walks over to the drinks and starts pouring it into his glass. "I know what you're going through, Y/N. Tony. He always gets the good stuff, doesn't he?" He smells the alcohol, I nod and smile, when he wasn't looking I take the newspaper and cover the file, then I quickly put the computer back to its original screen as he comes closer. "I was so happy when he came home. It was like we got him back from the dead. Now I realize, well, Tony never really did come home, did he? He left a part of himself in that cave. Breaks my heart." He sits on the desk next to me, my heart was pounding.

"Well, he's a complicated person." I smile. "He's been through a lot. I think he'll be all right."

"You are a very rare woman. Tony doesn't know how lucky he is." He smiles and looks me over.

"Thank you. Thanks. I better get back there." I stand up and sigh, I reach to grab the paper and quickly pull out the drive and grab my things. As I was getting closer to the door, he stops me.

"Is that today's paper?"

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "Yes."

"Do you mind?" I turn around as he walks over and grabs it.

"Not at all." I hold the drive tightly in my hand.

"Puzzle."

"Of course." I smile and walk out the door.

"Take care." I look back at him and smile, I then walk over to the elevator and look at the drive in my hand.

As I was walking through the lobby, Phil Coulson stops me.
"Ms. L/N? We had an appointment. Did you forget about our appointment?"

"Nope, right now. Come with me." He jumps up and hurried forward with me.

"Right now?"

"We're going to have it right now. Yeah, walk with me....I'm going to give you the meeting of your life. Your office."

I look back one last time to see Obadiah watching us.