Chapter 2 - Missing

⚠️TIME JUMP!

It's been three years since I was hired to be Tony Starks assistant, he always tells me I'm the best assistant he's ever had. I would be lying if I said I didn't find the playboy genius attractive, but I have to think about my job. Tony pays extremely well, I was able to move out of my crappy apartment and into a really nice one because of him.

The one thing I hate about my job is always cleaning up after his hookups. Like today I had to make take one of his hookups clothes to the dry-cleaning, Christine Everhart's clothes....A reporter.

As I was walking through Tony's home I stopped when I heard beeping and the sound of her voice. She was standing in Tony's shirt. "That's Jarvis. He runs the house. I've got your clothes here. They've been dry-cleaned and pressed, and there's a car waiting for you outside that will take you anywhere you'd like to go." I smile.

She looks me up and down and chuckles, "You must be the famous Y/N L/N."

"Indeed I am." I chuckle.

"After all these years, Tony still has you picking up the dry-cleaning."

"I do anything and everything that Mr. Stark requires, including, occasionally, taking out the trash. Will that be all?" I smile as hers fades. She grabs the clothes from me and heals away. "Jarvis make sure she leaves please." I chuckle.

"Yes Miss. L/N." I grab onto my phone as it starts ringing and answer to see it's James Rhodes.

"Where is Tony?" He asks.

"Let's just say he's had a long night." I walk down the stairs and push in my code to his workshop.

"Please get him to leave again. He was supposed to leave over an hour ago."

"I'm gonna try again, right now." I turn down his music and walk over to him.

"Please don't turn down my music." Tony sighs.

"I'll keep you posted." I hang up and roll my eyes, "You are supposed to be halfway around the world right now."

"How'd she take it?"

"Like a champ." I sigh.

"Why are you trying to hustle me out of here?"

"Your flight was scheduled to leave an hour and a half ago."  I pull out a file and pen and look it over.

"That's funny, I thought with it being my plane and all, that it would just wait for me to get there."

"Tony, I need to speak to you about a couple things before I get you out of the door." I sigh.

"I mean, doesn't it kind of defeat the whole purpose of having your own plane if it departs before you arrive?" He turns and sits on the tire on the car he's fixing.

"Larry called. He's got another buyer for the Jackson Pollock in the wings. Do you want it? Yes or no."

"Is it a good representation of his spring period?"

"Um, no. The Springs was actually the neighborhood in East Hampton where he lived and worked-" he interrupts me.

"So?"

"not "spring" like the season. I think it's a fair example. Um.. I think it's incredibly overpriced." I nod.

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." I smile as he walks passed me.

"Okay. The MIT commencement speech..."

"Is in June. Please, don't harangue me about stuff that's way, way, down..." He sighs when I interrupt him.

"Well, they're haranguing me, so I'm gonna say yes." I laugh.

"Deflect it and absorb it. Don't transmit it back to me."

"I need you to sign this before you get on the plane." I flip over the file and hold the pen out to him.

"What are you trying to get rid of me for? What, you got plans?"

"As a matter of fact, I do." I smile.

"I don't like it when you have plans." He smirks.

"I'm allowed to have plans on my birthday." I look down at the file.

"It's your birthday?"

"Yes." I whisper.

"I knew that....Already?"

"Yeah. Isn't that strange? It's the same day as last year." I chuckle.

"Well, get yourself something nice from me."

"I already did." I smile.

"And?"

"Oh, it was very nice.Very tasteful. Thank you, Mr. Stark." I move a piece of hair behind my ear and hold the file for him as he signs it.

"You're welcome, Miss L/N." I tap on his cup as he drinks it, he gives it to me and walks passed me. "Okay."

I follow him upstairs, "your bag is already packed for you and is in the car. I'll see you soon Mr. Stark." I smile as he puts on his jacket.

"See you soon." He backs up and bites his lip, smirking.

That night I returned to my apartment and put a face mask on and poured myself some wine. This was my plans, I would be watching movies all night and enjoying some take out and wine.

Everything was going good through the next day until I got a call from Rhodes. "Y/N....we were attacked....he's missing." He sighs.

I jump up, spilling my coffee, "What do you mean missing!" I yell.

"We are doing everything we can to find him. Y/N I promise we will." Rhodes sighs. "I have to go...I promise Y/N."

I felt my heart shatter.......I couldn't understand how even the army couldn't save him.