Chapter 11 - Kiss

I really didn't want to attend this Expo.....I could careless about what Justin Hammer is presenting.

As Natalie and I were sitting down, Justin comes facing out onto the stage. "Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for coming. Ladies and gentlemen, for far too long, this country has had to place its brave men and women in harm's way, but then the Iron Man arrived, and we thought the days of losing lives were behind us. Sadly, that technology was kept out of reach. That's not fair. That's not right. And it's just too bad."

"Oh, Lord." I roll my eyes.

"Regardless, it was an impressive innovation, one that grabbed the headlines the world over. Well, today, my friends, the press is faced with quite a difficult problem. They are about to run out of ink. Ladies and gentlemen, today I present to you the new face of the United States military. The Hammer drone." Drones rise out of the stage as he calls names. "Army! Navy! Air Force! Marines! Yeah! Yeah! Woo! That's a hell of a lot better than some cheerleaders, let me tell you. But as revolutionary as this technology is, there will always be a need for man to be present in the theatre of war. Ladies and gentlemen, today I am proud to present to you the very first prototype in the Variable Threat Response Battle Suit and its pilot, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes."

"What?" I look at Natalie then to Rhodes.

"For America and its allies, Hammer Industries is reporting for"

I was then shocked to see Tony flying in and landing next to Rhodes. I look around nervously as everyone cheers. Suddenly Rhodes gun along with all the other drones point at Tony as he flies off. Natalie and I cover our heads as the glass above us breaks. Natalie pulls me with her behind the stage where Justin is leaning over a technician. "He's locked us out of the mainframe."

"Who's locked you out of the mainframe?" I yell as I run up to him.

"Please, please, go away. Go away. I've got this handled."

"Have you now?" I narrow my eyes.

"Yes, I do. In fact, if your guy hadn't showed up, this wouldn't be happening. So, please, now go away. Thank you."

Suddenly, Natalie grabs Justin and holds him down on the desk. "You tell me who's behind this. Who's behind this?"

"Ivan. Ivan Vanko."

"Where is he?" She asks.

"At my facility."

Natasha lets go and leaves. I grab my phone and dial the police, "I need NYPD, please."

"No, no, no!"

"Command Central." I say.

"No, no, honey. Don't call the authorities."

"Okay. Right away. Right away." I hold my hand up to Justin. "Step aside. Step aside." I push passed him and lean over the Technician. "Tell me everything you know. Go."

"All the drones and James Rhodes is compromised. We've been locked out of everything."

"Can you try and hack the system?" I ask.

Suddenly I get a video call from Natalie.

"Well done on the new chest piece. I am reading significant higher output and your vitals all look promising."