Embarrassed

Dr. Will: hello sunshine

Noah: good morning Andy

Mom: hey sweetie

I woke up late and my phone was filled with text waiting for me to read. This is the most activity my phone has had in the last couple of months.

Dr. Will: how's my favorite girl?
Andy: fine and you?
Dr. Will: tired I've been working non stop, I enrolled in the WHO organization to help with the pandemic
Andy: that's amazing Will, you are such an humanitarian person.
Dr. Will: I do what I can

Then my mom called me
"Hi sweetie, I have news" she pause then said "I'm coming over"
"Mom, You're not supposed to go out" I said to her.
"I don't see any harm in grabbing my car and driving to you" she stood quiet for a second then I heard a sigh
"I just miss you so much" she started crying.
"Me too Mom, but I don't know if you should" I said.
I wanted to see my mom I missed her too, but I was scared for her. From what I heard in the news this virus is so much dangerous for people over 60, and my mom was 62.
"Mom please don't go out" I begged.
"It's not your decision and I'm on my way now" she said
"And if I'm not killed by this virus im going to die from depression. I really need to get out honey, I need to see you" she added.

An hour later I heard a knock on my door, I was hoping to see my mom but I was surprised when I found a Starbucks coffee on the floor
And in the cup was the following line:

JUST IN CASE YOU'RE TIRED

Why was he being nice to me? After last night, after I left him there, I thought he must be mad at me.

Just when I was picking up the coffee the elevator doors open and my mom bursted out running to hug me.
Then she started crying. Sobbing in my shoulder.
It's been 4 months now, since the last time I saw her. 4 months we've been on lockdown. I never would've thought this.

I hugged my mom too. With all my strength. I smelled her white hair and her coconut scent. And I felt homesick. She was my home. My safe.
I missed her so much.
"You have to see the streets out there, it's like a ghost town, there's not a single soul on the streets" she said as she entered my home.

I was about to enter when I felt like I was being watched and I couldn't help but wonder if Emerson was watching me through his peep hole. I stared at his door for a second hoping that he was there. Then I smiled to the door. Great Andy, now you're smiling to doors.

After I closed my door I found my mom looking at me with a sad expression, then she saw the coffee I was holding

"Where did you get a Starbucks coffee? Did you went out?" She asked with wide eyes.
"No mom, my neighbor brought it for me" I said.
"What neighbor?" She asked as she raised her eyebrows. My mother was really nosy. She didn't know how to stay in her own business, she was always so interested in other's peoples life. She was a sucker for good gossip.
"Just the neighbor from next door" I said trying to sound casual.
"And why is he bringing you coffee?" She asked.
"I don't know, because he wants to be nice" I said.
"Is he cute?" She said eyeing my with a weird look.
"No mom, he's an old man" I lied, the last thing I wanted was my mom asking me about my neighbor, because she knew me well and I was a terrible liar, I couldn't let her see that I liked my neighbor.
I couldn't let the feelings out.

My mom and I ordered some sushi and opened a bottle of wine. I ordered an extra roll of sushi to give to Emerson, as a thank you for the coffee.

I grabbed one of my post its and wrote

IN CASE YOU'RE HUNGRY
P.S. THANKS FOR THE COFFEE

I left it outside of his house when my mom wasn't seeing.

What I did told my mother was about the online dating, which I regretted telling her because she was now making me set her a profile.

After we finished she was all set up, I was explaining her how to swipe and how to use the app. When I looked through the window it was already late. My mom noticed too. We got so caught up with the app.

"I think I better get going, I don't want to drive so late In the ghost town" she said sarcastically
My mom stood up and hugged me
"Thank you for everything sweetie, I'll come next week" she said
"Drive safe mom" I said.

I walked her to the door and just when I opened my door I saw Emerson walking out of his apartment with a bag of trash.
My body stood frozen looking at him, at this hot stud that was my neighbor.

"Hey Andy" he said casually then he made a gesture with his head saluting my mom "ma'am"
My mother slowly turned her head towards me. She looked at me with raised eyebrows and a wtf smile.

I felt so embarrassed.
"You must be the old neighbor, nice to meet you"
My mom said while approaching Emerson
She offered him his hand and then pulled it away. Because of the safe distance
"Sorry old habits" she said
"Nice to meet you, I'm Emerson" he said.
"Well Emerson I was just leaving, hope you have a great evening" she said
"And please excuse my untruthful daughter" she said as she walked to the elevator.

I felt so embarrassed that I couldn't even look at him. My blood was boiling in my face. I felt his gaze all over me

"Well at least now we're both old" he said
I burst into laughing and so did he.
"I'm so sorry" I said laughing.