The beginning

It started with an Asian guy eating a bat. Yeah right...

Panic started to build in people's life, and a mask and antibacterial products became a daily part of our life.

All the media was full with COVID-19 news, on the tv, on my phone, on the radio, it was all that people talked about. And I was sick of it, of the topic, of the news. I couldn't hear it anymore.

But at this moment things were fine. There was only a few cases here in New York, the catastrophe was taking place in China. And China was so far from here.
I never would have thought what the next couple of months were bringing to my life. I never imagined that this would be a pandemic. That this would shatter people's life in such way.

"Hey Andy! Wait up" I heard a male voice behind me and I saw Harry running to catch up with me.
I was just to leave the office where I worked.

I majored in graphic design and I was working for one of the most important marketing firms in New York. We had very powerful and important brands like Coca Cola and McDonald's.

I graduated with honors from college, and I was accepted at this firm as an intern. Thanks to my great ideas and creativity I escalated fast to my position. I loved my job, I lived for this. I was such a workaholic. And my boss here really loves my job and appreciate me. Or that's what I thought.

I was just offered a promotion to be the director of the graphic team. And I couldn't be happier, finally all the hard work had been paying off.

With my new salary I could afford a bigger and nicer apartment. So I left my shitty queens apartment and moved to an amazing new building complex with views to Central Park. And I was so happy.

Everyday I woke up early and went for a run at Central Park, after that I went for a coffee to my favorite coffee shop that was just around the corner of my new apartment, and after showering I went to work. I was living my dream life.
I was one of those people that stayed at work longer than the rest, I was the last person to leave and almost the first to arrive. Because the first was the cleaning lady.

"Is this the day?" Harry asked while we were alone in the elevator
"What day?" I asked politely
"The day you are coming with all the team to have drinks?"
I laughed. I never go out to have drinks with my fellow workers because I was always so caught up with work, I was a perfectionist.
They always Invite me to drinks and I always refuse the invitation.
As always I shook my head refusing the invitation
"Come on Andy! It will be good for you, You never come, I promise you'll have an awesome time" he sweared
Harry was one of the other directors, he was in charge of numbers and logistic.
Once a week all directors went to have drinks at the bar that was in front of our offices.
"Fine, I'll go" I said giving up, I had finished my work for the day and I really could use a drink.

The bar was dark and really hot, it was so crowded with office workers that just got out from work.

Hilda, the merchandising director and Ernest, the first assistant to our boss, were already seated and having beers.

"I can't believe you are here!!!" Hilda shouted when she saw me approaching, she was this blonde tall lady in her forties, that everyday wore a huge layer of makeup and long skirts. She was loud and always made stupid jokes, but she was nice and really smart.
I smiled at her And approached  to give her a hug when she stopped me with her hand
"Huh huh my love, we say hello from afar, there's a dreadful virus around here" she said with her country accent. "We can't be kissing anybody anymore"
I laughed While I sat on my chair.
"Harry, what did you do to make her come?" Hilda asked
"Nothing I swear" he said.
"Can't I just come for the fun of it?" I said
"You've never come to drinks, we've been working there for five years now" Ernest said with a low serious voice, he was such and introvert, and I don't know why but every time he speaks to me he blushes.

"Well there's always a first one"
"I'm so happy you're here" Hilda said grabbing my hand And I smiled in return, I grabbed my drink and said
"Cheers to everyone"
"For first times" Hilda said clinging our drinks together "and for the fucking dude that ate a bat soup" Harry said
We all laughed.

Yes, at that moment we laughed, because we didn't know what was coming next.

-----------------
A/N

Hello everyone!!

So... I started writing today this story that came to my mind earlier.
I hope you like it and please stick to it because it will get good!
I'll try to write fast!
If you like it please vote and follow me for updates!