Chapter 16

6 Years Ago-Camilla

We have managed to get a small table right in front of the stage at the Red Lion. Kath and Matty have gone to order us a few drinks and something to eat at the bar but I offered to stay and watch the table, mainly so I could try get myself together, I am a nervous wreck.

After we got Harry's guitars back, I managed to get him on board to play again. It's his seventeenth birthday today and I know he is excited to get up there and perform.

He was swept back stage with the other performers earlier for a chat about procedures for tonight and sound check, and I haven't seen him since.

Trying to distract myself, I let my eyes wander around the venue. The Red Lion looks more like a small, somewhat dingy night club than a traditional pub. It has a substantial stage and dance floor, with a retro mural of rock stars faces; I recognise at least Freddie Mercury and Jim Morrison.

Its pumping tonight, with a clientele that look like they are in their twenties or older, as it's near a university campus. I'm just relieved we managed to get in considering I'm sixteen and Matt and Harry, a year older. I think the bouncer begrudgingly agreed because Harry is down to play and we had Kath with us.

"I love my gran Mills, but fuck, she will not let me have a drink" Matt whines, as he slumps back down next to me at the table and hands me my cooldrink.

"Matthew, you little shit! You better not be complaining to poor Millie about the fact that I won't let you drink. You know I don't mind you boys having a couple at home, but come on, I can't buy you one. I know I'm a cool gran, but I'm not that cool" Kath reasons.

Matt continues to argue, light heartedly with his gran, but I am too anxious to follow what they are saying. I'm not sure how long we sit at the table, me nervously sipping my coke, when the lights suddenly dim and a spotlight shines onto the stage.

A middle-aged man dressed in black, confidently steps out on the stage and the crowd cheers him on.

"Good evening and a warm welcome to the Red Lions monthly 'Open-Mic-Night'. We have some awesome talent lined up for you. Please remember to be kind and no heckling! And while you enjoy the music, we have some great food and drink specials available at the bar"

The crowd cheers again before the guy on stage carries on "and first up tonight we have a young man from just a few towns away ...Mr Harry Styles".

The lights dim and the crowd cheers. I have to remind myself to breathe, as Harry makes his way on stage. He stops in the centre and is just visible standing in the shadows with his acoustic guitar. The spotlight suddenly shines on him and with his wild curly hair, ripped skinny jeans, black t-shirt and brown Chelsea boots, he looks every bit the Rockstar he was meant to be. Taking a moment, he looks out at the audience and as he finds me and we make eye contact, I feel my heart flutter.

Harry decided to do one cover, to get the crowd going, and then one original song. Starting with Landslide, by Fleetwood Mac, he confidently strums his guitar and with his raspy low voice he begins to sing:

I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around....

He is a natural and pitch perfect, He doesn't seem nervous at all, but then maybe I am anxious enough for the both of us. I look at the crowd who are watching transfixed and I know he is right where he is meant to be, a natural performer, a star.

As he finishes, the applause is deafening and I hear a woman behind us shout to her friends "Fuck he is good! And I wouldn't kick him out of bed".