Chapter 14

Present Day-Harry

I stand outside the small white home with the quirky curved wall, taking it in. It's just off the historic town square in Rye, on a cobbled street.

I drove back to Rye this morning after spending most of last night chatting to Felicity. Trying to get my head around the fact that I am a dad now, not sure it's something I will even know how to be, considering my own dad was such a loser.

I had no idea how to find Camilla since I didn't have her phone number or address. I took a chance and asked Michelle at the hotel when I checked back in, and she was able to give me directions. I suppose this would be one of those rare times where everyone knowing everyone else, and each other's business is helpful.

Which leads me to where I am now, a quiet suburban street, in the town I vowed never to come back to, holding a child sized guitar for the daughter I didn't know I had.

I'm still really pissed off at Camilla, but I want to be in Rory's life and so I needed to talk to her. Fuck, I would kill for a drink, but I decided last night after chatting with Fel, to cut back and be more responsible now that I'm a dad. So, I try steady myself with some deep, slow breaths instead. Eventually I take a step forward and firmly knock on the door a couple of times.

From the other side of the door I can hear some movement and barking, when suddenly the door swings open and I am met by Camilla who is trying to calm the dog down and hasn't realised I am standing on her doorstep.

"Poe....Poe....relax ...Can you stop barking, I can't hear myself think" she pleads, sounding frustrated.

The dog doesn't listen, and after a few more tries, Camilla eventually gives up and turns her attention back to the door, to see who knocked. The minute she realises it's me, her face drops.

"Harry" she exclaims, looking apprehensive.

Her hair is piled up messily on her head in a haphazard bun and she has on a pair of large framed black reading glasses. Even though it is already afternoon, she is still wearing a tiny pair of what are obviously pyjama shorts. But when I notice her t-shirt, I can't help but stare: she has an old stretched Ramones shirt on, which I recognise straight away as something I gave to her five years ago, before I left. I gaze at it for a minute, when Camilla must realise what I am looking at, causing her to fold her arms over her chest protectively. I also notice the scar on her cheek again, its small but prominent and I wonder where she got it.

"Um...Harry...what are you doing here?" she asks quietly, immediately drawing my attention back to the task at hand.

"Hello Camilla" I say stoically "Can we talk?".

"Um, sure" she answers and steps out onto the street, quietly closing the door behind her.

I stand glaring at her, trying to decide what to say first, when she suddenly blurts out "I am so sorry Harry".

"I didn't come here for apologies or to talk about what you did Camilla" I answer coolly "I came here to talk about Rory"

"Okay" she says, her shoulders slumped, staring at her feet again, a habit that is driving me mad. I wish she would look me in the eyes.

I also notice how she is clenching her fists, tensely, the entire time.

I'm about to start speaking, when an old man with a large dog, shuffles between us, trying to get past.

We both instantly take a step back, letting him past.

"Ello Cam love" the man says jovially.

"Hi Fred" she answers softly "How's the arthritis today", and I notice that the man seems to be struggling to walk.