Chapter 27

4.5 years ago-Camilla

"I cannot believe you like this Mills! Its beyond disgusting" Matt complains dramatically, as he continues to eat the peanut butter and pickle sandwich he just stole from me.

I have the most intense craving for pickles at the moment, and I'm on a mission to eat them with every meal, or just plain as a snack. Matty even managed to find me a brand of crisps that does a pickle flavour. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if I gave birth to a pickle.

"Shut up" I answer him laughing "I can't help If I am hungry all the time".

I have had terrible morning sickness where I feel nauseas unless I am eating, often something really weird. And Matt has been amazing at fulfilling every craving, often driving all over town, sometimes in the middle of the night. I think secretly he likes the challenge, I mean he managed to find a fresh sweet melon at midnight on a Sunday in our small town.

Matt and I are sitting on an multicoloured quilt in Kath's garden, trying to soak up the sun's rays. As we chat I am sticking photographs into a book I decided to put together for Harry, documenting my pregnancy and then the babies life. So far I have just added a couple of ultrasound images and monthly pics of my growing tummy. As I work on the book, I can't help thinking he may never see it and even if he did, it would be the last of his worries, he would probably be too busy despising me for keeping his child from him. I have really made a huge fucking mess of things.

I'm four and a half months pregnant now, so a little under half way. The last few months haven't been easy. It took me while to get over my injuries once I got out of hospital. I then had to drop out of school, my parents weren't going to pay for my posh private school and there is no way the school would have wanted a pregnant teenager wandering around anyway. Definitely not great for their elite image so I registered to do classes online at a local college.

Despite Kath insisting I don't need to get a job, I know I have to step up and start putting money aside for the baby as soon as possible. Evans Chocolatier was looking for a cashier, so I am doing a few hours there most days and then I managed to talk Marge, the manager at the Mermaid Inn, into employing me. I think she actually just felt sorry for me, and so she hired an underage teenager with an increasingly expanding tummy.

As I jealously watch Matt finish my sandwich, complaining the entire time, I try get myself comfortable against a few scatter cushions we brought outside.

I look over at him, now lying down lazily across the quilt, wearing a loud pair of his grandmothers sunglasses and old pair of shorts. He still manages to look attractive and I can see why he has a steady line of men in and out of the door. My relationship with Matt has become incredibly important and I don't know what I would do without him.

"So how was your date last night" I ask nosily, living through him and his wild antics.

"Yeh, it was okay. He was fine, I suppose" he answers, non-committedly.

"Oh" I say, smiling "So I didn't hear you sneak in, in the early hours of the morning?"

"You nosy bitch" Matty says laughing "Fine maybe he was really hot and fucking good in bed".

Hanging with Matt is the best part of my day. In a weird way listening to him talk about the crazy shit him and Harry used to get up to, helps me feel closer to Harry, even though he hasn't spoken to Matty or returned any of his calls in months. It's just another thing I feel guilty about, playing a huge role in ending their friendship. Matt acts like it's okay but I know he is hurt.