Chapter 1

7 Years Ago-Harry

"Get lost boy" my dad says to me gruffly.

"Fucking ridiculous" I mumble, turning around and wondering what the hell I am going to do now.

I'm helping my useless father with fish deliveries, and our last stop is the kitchen at Hartfield House, an old mansion at the edge of town.

The cook, apparently an old high school flame of my dear old dad, has offered him a cup of tea and I guess he is going to try charm her. Of course, neither of them offers me anything to drink, typical, but I'm actually relieved, I would rather stick shards of bamboo under my nails than hang around with my father. Plus, the thought of seeing my dad flirting with this woman, or trying to get her to pour him a real drink rather than the aforementioned tea, makes me cringe.

It's a sunlit day so I decide to make the most of it and have a look around the place to kill some time. I can't believe this is someone's home, although according to town gossip, the family that live her, I think their name is Devereux are a bunch of snooty entitled morons.

Leaving the enclosed courtyard, I get my first view of the main house; a three-storey red brick, covered in thick vines of green ivy. It looks a couple of hundred years old, or like they could at least have filmed Downton Abbey here. If I believed in ghosts, this is definitely perfect for a haunting.

The gardens are kind of amazing though: lush, green and sprawling

The gardens are kind of amazing though: lush, green and sprawling. I see a couple of large ponds, full of Lilypad's and some really impressive manicured topiaries. As I walk through the grounds, all I can hear is the gravel crunching under my feet. This place is dead quiet, and other than the cook it seems uninhabited.

I follow the winding path, walking into a secluded area, surrounded by large leafy hedges and an old moss-covered stone wall. From what I can see, I would guess that this is some sort of Rose Garden as it is full of colourful roses. I suppose its impressive, if this is your sort of thing.

I wander around, bored but at least enjoying the sun, when I am interrupted from my reverie "Who are you?" says a curt voice.

I look around, searching for its source when I spot someone sitting on a bench under a small wooden pagoda.

"I'm Harry" I answer simply while walking closer to have a look who asked.

I am startled when I lay eyes on the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She looks about my age with a sweet heart-shaped face, thick wavy blonde hair, huge green eyes and a small upturned nose. She is wearing a short white linen dress and is barefoot. I notice she has a book open on her lap.

"And what is Harry doing here?" she asks, a hint of mocking in her voice.

I roll my eyes, which she notices and I see a small wave of irritation pass over her face.