Chapter 26

Present Day- Camilla

I grab my denim shorts and shimmy into them, saying to Kath "Can you watch Rory for a little bit?".

I notice her look between Harry and myself with interest, a small smirk playing on her lips before she responds "Sure love, take your time".

I roll my eyes at her less than blatant attempt at making sure Harry and I spend more time together, before I turn around to him and smile as we begin walking along the shore.

We walk in comfortable silence for a few minutes enjoying the sound of the waves, until Harry asks softly "Do you remember when I first brought you here?".

I nod and answer "Of course! Matty was with us, It was a really fun day. Its still one of my favourite places in Rye".

Harry nods and then looking at me intently he asks, with his brow furrowed "How are you today? Really?".

I guessed this is probably why he wanted to go for a walk, so we could chat about yesterday, so taking a breath, I answer "I'm okay, I went to see my therapist this morning, we talked about what's been bothering me and she wrote me a prescription for some anti-anxiety meds. Listen Harry, I'm glad I bumped into you, I just wanted to say thanks for everything you did yesterday, I'm sorry I was such a mess".

"You know you can ask me for help Mills" he suggests cautiously.

"Cam...its Cam, um...thanks Harry but I'll be okay. I was just in a bad place yesterday, I can look after myself" I say, my voice getting higher as I feel a little panicked.

I notice Harry's eyes widen and I realise that I may have been a bit harsh, especially as he really did help me yesterday. Fuck, why am I always so awkward and stand-offish?

"But..um..thanks" I say trying to be more open, before I add, something I have been pondering for a while "Actually, I was thinking, maybe we should tell Ror you are her dad".

Harry stops walking, and he stares at me "What? Really? You think so? It's not too soon?"

I smile and answer simply "No, she is mad about you and I thinks it's time she knew"

"Oh okay. Wow" he says, looking dumbfounded but happy as we continue to walk.

Eventually we reach the end of the beach, arriving at a large outcrop of slippery rocks which lead to a well-known cave and look out point.

Harry jumps easily onto a big rock, and grinning widely he holds out his hand to me.

Looking at his hand suspiciously I eventually splutter "I'm not climbing up there Harry".

In all my years of living in Rye and visiting Mermaids Cove, I have never worked up the courage to climb up to the cave.

"Yes you are" he replies confidently.

"No I am not" I argue and crossing my arms over my chest, I continue to stand on the beach.

"Yes you are Cam! It's a great view plus I'm going to help you and make sure you don't fall" Harry says, still holding out his hand.

I look up at the cave, high above us and at Harry, before sighing dramatically and giving him my hand. He immediately grasps it firmly and pulls me up onto his rock, like I weigh nothing.

As we begin to climb, I carefully follow Harry's path, concentrating on not falling over. Harry has to catch me a few times and I silently curse myself for my clumsiness, which Rory has unfortunately inherited from me. Watching a still shirtless Harry easily navigate the climb, his muscles flexing, I can't help wish Rory had gotten his athletic ability.