Chapter 21

5 Years Ago-Harry

My whole life can be packed into one duffel bag and two guitar cases. Eighteen years on this earth and it all fits in one small bag. I sit down on my bed and look slowly around my childhood bedroom, taking in the sad worn furniture and peeling blue paint, still not believing I'm leaving for London tomorrow. I have wanted to get out of this fucking house and town, for as long as I can remember. But now I have Millie in my life its bittersweet because I'll be leaving her too. I thought I would have a few more weeks with her but having turned eighteen a couple of months ago and graduated last week, Noel and his team wanted me in London as soon as possible to start working on an album.

Before I can wallow and let my nerves get the better of me, there is a knock on the door. Standing up and stretching, I walk across the room, hoping it's not my father. Unfortunately, the minute I open the door, I come face to face with the one person I didn't want to see, and surprisingly he doesn't seem completely trashed.

"Hey" I greet him coolly,

"Harry" he acknowledges me formally.

"What's up?" I say trying to be nice.

"I bumped into Kath Evans at the supermarket earlier today. She told me you got a record deal, and are leaving for London tomorrow. Is that true?".

I notice him look past me and at my packed bag, ready and waiting.

"Yes" I answer simply.

I probably should have told him but I didn't think he would care.

"Oh" he says looking shocked "Um were you planning on telling me?".

Taking a big breath and sighing I answer "To be truthful dad, I didn't think you were that interested" hoping he isn't in the mood to fight.

"Oh...okay" he says "Why aren't you at school today?".

I stare at him dumbfounded before I answer "Its Saturday dad, plus I graduated last week".

"Oh. I didn't know. Was there a ceremony? You should have let me know" He says.

What the fuck I think, but not having the energy to fight I just say "Yeh, um Kath came. It wasn't a big deal and it didn't seem like your sort of thing".

We stand there awkwardly for a minute, and I get the feeling he wants to say something but to be completely truthful I feel very little for the stranger standing in front of me.

"Was their anything else?" I ask quietly.

"Oh, um no. I think Im gonna go out for a while" he says, before he turns around and walks down the stairs and I hear the front door open and slam shut. He is probably heading to a bar to get drunk.

I close my bedroom door and as I am about to double check I haven't forgotten anything, I hear another knock. Confused I wonder who could be there, but opening the door I am met by Millie, leaning against the wall with a box of pizza and a huge smile.

"Hi Baby' she smirks "Hope you don't mind, I let myself in"

A little surprised I step forward and leaning down to kiss her I say "Hey Mills. What are you doing here?"

"Well, I thought you may need some help packing and I bought dinner" she says, lifting up the pizza.

"I didn't have much to pack, so I'm already kind of done. But I am fucking hungry and I always want to see you babe" I say, stepping back and letting her in.