Chapter 34

3.5 years ago-Camilla

Turning the ignition off, the loud roar of the car comes to a standstill leaving me in silence. I'm sure Kath and Matt have realised I am home, it's difficult not to, considering how loud my beat up second hand Land Rover is. I managed to save up and buy it a couple of months ago, and despite its constant breakdowns, I love it.

I sit in the car for a few moments, laying my head on the steering wheel and enjoying the calm. I'm exhausted and having just finished work at Evans as cashier, I couldn't imagine a shift behind the bar at the Mermaid Inn tonight. Thank god it's my night off and I can stay in. The baby is teething at the moment and struggling to sleep, which means I'm not sleeping. At nearly a year, she is growing up so fast and even though I love being a mom, the lack of sleep and long shifts are causing my anxiety to act up. But at least this time I feel more equipped to handle it and have made an appointment to see Doctor Harris at the end of the week.

Looking at the time on my phone, I realise I've been sitting here a while and should probably go inside. Angling my rear-view mirror so I can see myself properly, I quickly smooth down my dishevelled hair and neaten myself up but as I do I catch sight of the scar on my cheek, and immediately look away. I hate it and the memories that flood my mind when I see it, and so I try not look in the mirror too often.

But there isn't much I can do about it now so reaching into the back seat, I grab my handbag and step out the car. As I walk through the beautiful garden towards Kath's cottage, I can't help smile, knowing soon I will see my daughter, the absolute light of my life.

I push the door open, its unlocked as usual. I really need to talk to Kath about locking her door and safety, and make a mental note to broach the subject again later. She really is too kind and trusting.

"Im home" I shout happily, as the familiar smells and noises flood my senses. I love this house, and the people in it, although I am saving up so I can rent my own place one day.

"Hello my love" I hear Kath's kind voice respond "I'm in the kitchen".

I enter to see Kath sitting at the table, a large glass of red wine in hand and a complicated sudoku open in front of her.

I hug her briefly and ask "How's Rory?".

Matty went through a huge Gilmore Girls phase a few months ago and started calling Rose, Rory, we all liked it and it just kind of stuck.

"She was an angel" Kath answers smiling warmly.

Rolling my eyes playfully "You always say that even when she cries all night and keeps us awake".

"Yes well that's what grandmothers are for! We think our grandkids can do no wrong and in my opinion Rose Evans is perfect".

Her response makes me grin from ear to ear. I am so happy that Rory has a family that love her, so much more than Harry or I ever had.

"Speaking of which, where is my baby?" I ask.

"Oh Matty was just finishing bathing her! You know how much she loves the water, I could hear the two of them laughing from down here".

I frown, a little disappointed I missed her ridiculous giggling as she was bathed, but I don't get to sulk too long as I hear soft singing, followed a few seconds later by Matt, his t-shirt sopping wet, carrying Rory, still wrapped up in a bath towel.

"Rory, look mama's home" He says softly to her.

The minute she sees me her face lights up and she puts her hands out for me. I grab her little chubby body greedily  and nestle myself into her soft neck, she smells so amazing.