Chapter 7

Present Day-Harry

After checking into the hotel, I spent most of last night tossing and turning, unable to sleep. My thoughts dominated by memories of Rye, my dad and Millie. I finally got to sleep as the sun was coming up, and slept through until late morning. After a quick shower I decide to grab a coffee and check out Evans Chocolatier. 

At some point I am going to have to go to the nursing home and pack up my father's stuff, but I just can't face it yet.

I drive the short distance to Evans, and park across the road. Climbing out my car, I immediately feel the familiar humid sea air. A breeze blows lightly through my long hair, and I reach up and push some flyaway strands off my face, clumsily dropping my car keys. I reach down for them and as I look up, I'm met by a group of teenagers, staring at me starstruck.

I smile and ask whether they would like a photo or autograph. I would never have this amazing career without everyone who has supported me and I love interacting with fans.

They nod excitedly, so I pose for pictures, film messages to their friends and sign a few albums. I chat to them for a while, which draws in a few more admirers. I eventually thank them all for their support and putting my sunglasses on, I walk across the road.

In front of me I see 'Evans Chocolatier'. The exterior hasn't changed much, but as I walk through the door, I am surprised at the transformation inside.

The shop is bustling, with customers, chatting amongst themselves, waiting in line or picking out chocolates. It's much larger than it was five years ago, and looks very sophisticated and hip. I also see they have rebranded, and the packaging is really stylish.

I join the short line, and other than a couple of stares, no one seems to recognise me.

I reach the cashier, who greets me enthusiastically and I place an order for one of their famous brownies and a double espresso, since I am still wrecked from last night. The cashier asks If I will be eating in, and I say yes and point to an empty table in the corner.

She nods, gives me my change and says breathlessly "I love your music Mr Styles, I danced to 'Rose' at my wedding".

I smile and take a quick selfie with her before I sit down.

Soon I am tucking into the best chocolate and pecan nut brownie I have ever tasted and inhaling my espresso, immediately feeling better.

I am about to give Felicity a call when I look up to see Matt, who I haven't seen in five years, enter through a door that I assume leads from the factory at the back.

He hasn't seen me, so I take a minute to watch him. He looks a little older and more muscular, but other than that it's the same Matty I grew up with.

He is carrying a couple of containers, filled with chocolates which he hands over to the shop staff, seemingly giving them a few instructions and laughing loudly at something one of them says.

I take a few deep breaths, stand up, and walk towards him, saying nervously "Hey Matty".

He turns towards me smiling, obviously expecting someone else. The minute he recognises me, his smile vanishes.

He stares at me for a beat, before he stammers in disbelief "H..H..Harry?".

"Hey Matty. How are you?" I say and step forward, first shaking his hand and then embracing him warmly.

I know we lost contact with everything that happened, but he will always be important to me.

"I was sorry to hear about your dad Harry".