Chapter 12

6.5 Years Ago- Harry

I sit on the large low hanging branch of an old tree on Millie's parents' estate, gently swinging my legs, with her head resting on my lap.

She is lying on the branch, a book of poetry in her hands.

I listen to her, quietly and methodically read the words, written by Maya Angelou:

The highway is full of big cars going nowhere fast
And folks is smoking anything that'll burn
Some folks wrap their lives around a cocktail glass
And you sit wondering
where you're going to turn.
I got it.
Come. And be my baby.

Some prophets say the world is gonna end tomorrow
But others say we've got a week or two
The paper is full of every kind of blooming horror
And you sit wondering
what you're gonna do.
I got it.
Come. And be my baby.

As she finishes it, I reach down and kiss her softly on the lips, "That was great Mills", I say.

"Thanks" she says shyly, and then looking up at me, with those big eyes, she asks "Baby, can you read our poem for me?"

"Again?" I ask.

"Yes, it's my favourite" she says matter-of-factly.

I laugh and pick up the small book lying next to me, the E.E Cummings collection I dropped at her house once and she returned to me.

I begin to read her the poem she loves "I carry your heart with me, i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ....

I actually have it memorised, she makes me read it all the time, so I watch her as I recite it, her eyes closed, her lips slightly open as she breaths. She is wearing a white baby doll dress, that is riding up her fit tanned legs, and I can't help staring, she is doing my head in, without even trying.

As I finish, she opens her eyes and sighs "that was so beautiful Harry".

"It's not as beautiful as you Mills" I say, and mean it.

God, she is amazing, I can't believe we have been together six months already, hands down she is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I look at her short dress and legs again, which Millie notices and says "Eyes up here Styles".

"But baby!" I whine, continuing to stare.

I lean down and kiss her, and placing the book down on the branch, I lightly run my hand down Millie's soft curves, from her neck, past her hip and to her thighs.

I leave my hand on her thigh and start to trace small patterns, as I deepen our kiss, finding her tongue with mine.

Millie breaks away and moans, softly "Harry?".

"Mmmm, yes baby?" I answer peppering kisses down her jaw and neck.

"I want to show you something"

"What is it love? Will I be naked? Better yet, will you be naked?" I ask suggestively.

I'm joking of course, I don't care what we do as long as she is with me. Don't get me wrong though, I would make out with her all day if I could but I really want to respect her and make sure things don't move too fast.

Millie laughs, pushes me back and jumps out the tree "get your mind out the gutter Harry".

"Where are you going?" I ask, disappointed she isn't kissing me anymore.