Chapter Twenty three

*****
Recap:Laila and I visited our parents to sort out the issue at hand only to figure out it was a trap, Dad's on Yemi's side and wants my sister to get back with him and even wants them to stay over the night in the guest room. Laila and I were in the middle of our escape before hearing a knock on her bedroom door.

*****

"Lola!" Laila whisper yelled from outside, gesturing wildly with her hands that we had to leave immediately.
"Hold on" I mouthed just as I walked stealthily towards the door and opened it. I heaved a sigh when I saw it was Endurance, the maid from earlier.

"Mummy said I should ask you to come down with sister Tolani" She announced in good English, shocking me.

"Oh uhmm, she's using the bathroom right now but we'll be down as soon as she's done" I lied.

"Okay ma"
"Just call me Lola" I said with a tight smile, which she returned with a genuine one, then I shut the door. I took quick strides to the window, as I slowly climbed out, holding on to the railing so tightly that my knuckles would have turned white if I was a light skinned person. I crept and crawled with my belly till I hit the ground and broke into a run. My sister was ahead of me, she needed to be out of there before me so I didn't bother about it.I slowed down when I got to the small gate and quietly slipped through it, shutting it carefully, after which, I broke into a run again. We ran through the narrow path, clearing through the small bushes on our path, before sighting Tana's vehicle which wasn't very far away.

She left the engine on, tapping her hands impatiently before glancing our way, she took a double take on us, as she wasn't paying attention earlier. "Hurry" She beckoned as Laila opened the back door and threw herself in along with the small suitcase which surprisingly did not impede her running, not that I would notice as my mind was all over the place.

I ran to the front seat and dunked myself in, just as Tana stepped on the pedal and drove off like an enraged woman. She only slowed down when we got to the estate's main gate, to avoid suspicion and once we were out she zoomed off again.

"That was crazy" I said breathing through my mouth. Laila nodded quickly in response
"And invigorating too" She added.

Tana chose that point to express her surprise. "Lola when did you get this wild??" She asked turning to me briefly and facing the road again. I shrugged.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose" We all laughed, momentarily forgetting the dreadful situation at hand.

*****
"We can't continue staying at your place, with the situation at hand" Laila said while we were at Tana's office, we all knew going over to her house would be foolish as that would be the first place they would search. Her office would be the next target but we had bought ourselves some time.

"So where do you guys want to stay, you know my parents aren't going to be of any help, they'd sell you out before you know it" Tana said and I nodded in agreement. We sat in silence, everyone occupied with their thoughts.

"What about Tunji?" Laila asked out of the blue. That was a good idea, but I saw Tana go rigid at the mention of his name.

"Why? Why Tunji?" She asked in a tone I couldn't decipher.

"Why not him? He's Lola's boyfriend after all" Laila blurted out and I glared at her.
"He's not..." I started to retort but she interjected.

"Yeah yeah,so you say" Laila rolled her eyes in sarcasm. How would I explain to these girls that Tunji's relationship with me was just platonic? I groaned.