Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen
****

Ever sat down wondering what your "big day"would be like?
That's what I was almost doing when my name boomed from across the room that Saturday morning. Of course, it was my sister's wedding day. She was so tensed up that I felt the same way for her. If there's such a thing as one being worried on another's behalf then I was in that position.

It was 9am and we were supposed to be at the church by 10am for the service but someone spent her morning getting all emotional, cuddling with mum who was comforting her. I had never seen her that way before.
Wedding jitters are sure scary.

Dad came in as mom beckoned him to, while she was snuggled up against my sister.

"Having second thoughts?" He asked with an arched eyebrow in a cold tone that sent shivers down my spine, I'm sure the same happened to Laila as she sat up immediately wiping her tears and answered with her voice shaking.

"No... No... Sir" She couldn't match his gaze as he stared down at her. I sat on a chair near the window, at a corner of the room watching the scene with a pained look on my face.

"Lola" Dad called his eyes looking across the room frantically like he was searching for something or someone.
The room was filled with the bridesmaids, mainly Laila's friends,moving to and fro.

"Why are you sitting there? Are you done with everything?" He asked

"Yes Dad" I said without blinking, matching his stern gaze. I was pis send.
Why couldn't he show emotions apart from anger?
Why couldn't he act like a loving and happy father for once?
It hurt so bad.
If he was affected by my cold response, it never showed.

I stood up with the small train of my dress trailing behind me. The green dresses we had chosen for the bridesmaids were stunning. It was a mono strap dress, that hugged my curves as it did with the others.
I wore a pair of gold ankle strap heels to match.
The dress was a little shorter in front and it revealed my legs. The stylist had put my hair in a bun with thick curly strands on either side of my face, adorned with few gold clippings that served as accessories along with the tiny gold earrings and necklace placed on my ears and neck respectively. The make up was chic, it looked very simple and natural. I wanted something like my sister's. Tana was all about wild make up so she had a thick smokey eye creased with gold eye shadow.

I held the gold colored artificial rose in my left hand as I sat beside my sister palming her face with my free hand. Mum had left the room to handle other things and fortunately the other ladies were out of the room as it was the rush hour, they were scurrying out to meet up with the rides for the church service. I was riding with Laila so I didn't have to fuss.

"Look at me" I whispered then she turned slowly and matched my gaze

"Listen it's going to be alright, I'm here for you, I always have and I always will. Be happy alright, you're getting out of this hell hole" I rolled my eyes for emphasis at the last statement earning a chuckle from her.
"Lola I'm scared" She whispered shakily.

"I know and I'm scared too but God hasn't given us the spirit of fear but of love, power and self-control" I quoted 2nd Timothy 1 verse 7.
She nodded quickly.

"Everything's gonna be alright, you look amazing, don't ruin the make up, it's money that they paid for it o" I pouted. She laughed, genuinely this time. Her countenance changed suddenly and she held my hands in hers, squeezing them softly.

"Thank you sis, for everything" She sniffed. I was holding my tears back too. She hugged me tight.

"I love you and I'll miss being with you like this" She said while we were still locked in the hug.