Chapter Twenty nine

Chapter Twenty nine

Felicia's POV (cont'd)

I made up my mind to confront my erring brother in law at his workplace, not wanting to bother my sister. Nothing prepared me for what I saw that sunny afternoon.

I rapped on the door slightly, the top floor was pretty busier than I expected and that came with a lot of noise. Hearing muffled sounds from the other side of the door, I assumed it was Gerald beckoning me to step into his lavish office.

The horror filled gasp eluded my lips before I could stop it. "Gerald! I thought you loved my sister!" I screeched, mortified. He blanched. You guessed right, he was eating out some other woman's face right there in his office. He was so ashamed, he couldn't look me in the eye neither could the whore who was still seated on his thighs.

The fact that she did not move a muscle even after walking in on them in that compromising position, pissed me to no end. I lost it! I took off my newly purchased high heeled shoes and aimed it straight at her head. Bullseye! It hit the target perfectly and she yelled in pain, jumping off him and landing herself on the floor. Served her right for trying to wreck my sister's marriage, that would serve as a warning to her cohorts. This man had a crazy sister in law who could kill any woman that stood in the way of her sister's marriage.

Gerald was astounded, stupefied in fact. The girl kept whimpering in pain, I couldn't care less. My eyes met Gerald's, the message was clear, he understood. No, I wasn't going to tell my sister, it would have broken her. My warning was more than enough reason for my brother in law to keep it in his pants. He began sucking up to me because of that, more like he was afraid that I would spew about his rendezvous to his wife, but I did not mind, at least it got them happy again, their ship had begun to sail smoothly,but no journey was without its bumps.

Another year and some months later, Fiona was expecting baby number two, surely she and Gerald had been very busy. He assured himself and everyone who cared to listen that he was going to have a boy this time around.

Filthy rich as he was he had had their trust funds set up with a whooping sum of money,that left me gaping as soon I heard about it from Fiona. Her excitement was infectious and I blurted it out to Benson before I knew it. He was surprisingly calm about it, too calm. It raised my suspicions but I chose to not read too much meaning to it, perhaps, he was starting to mature and take things as they were. Boy was I wrong, this acrimonious being was as resentful and malicious as always.

Our sex life had taken a turn for the better, he wasn't forcing himself on me and even if he wasn't exactly buttered up as one would have hoped, he didn't act repulsed after the act. The problem was, he had made the mistake of calling Fiona's name instead of mine while we were at it. It was no mistake, I knew, but my foolhardy need for validation from him made me pretend to not notice, that my husband pictured someone else whenever we got intimate. How stupid of me!

The acme of all problems finally came, I thought we had gone through enough and we could pull through anything that came our way but, no, fate had never been on our side and it did not fail to prove its point in the sudden turn of events.

Fiona was most probably a month away from delivery and I had gone to be by her side, I took my kids along with me, Benson had been throwing too much tantrums and I didn't want anymore of it. He still cared for Fiona, me going to live with her meant she was going to be well taken care of and that was his only concern. He never visited though, but he would subtly ask about her wellbeing whenever we spoke.

The tragic event occurred that fateful day, 12th August, 1996. It's still ingrained in my memory and haunts me every single day. The children were out, playing and I sat outside watching them. I took a short, three day break from work to spend time with them. Gerald drove in like a crazed person suddenly, much to my surprise. I did not question him as he was visibly enraged. He stormed inside the house, and soon I heard yelling, both Fiona and himself arguing so loudly, I wondered what the problem was. I slowly tiptoed inside to avoid being seen or heard.