Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

*****

It was dark already and the ride home was silent. I was too nervous to go in my parents vehicle so I rode with Grey and Igho. Tana had gone with her parents, they didn't want her in the middle of any family drama. They apparently understood my family issues. She left with them after speaking to me with soothing words.

"Las las we go dey alright" She said reassuring me, I almost chuckled at the thought but I was too tired to do that. The ride home was filled with uncomfortable silence, it sent cold chills down my spine.

We arrived sooner than I had expected, and I gulped as I stepped out of the vehicle. I had removed my shoes earlier and put on a pair of fancy slippers that were more comfortable.

My parents had arrived much earlier than we had and I walked into the living room after Grey and Igho.  My father was speaking  to someone over the phone which was most probably a well wisher calling to congratulate him, as I heard him say 'Thank you very much' with a smile in his voice.

I took that as my cue to run up the stairs and lock myself up in my bedroom but my plan was jeopardized the moment I heard the very familiar voice of my father eliciting a slight quiver from me.

"Titilola" He called, his tone? I couldn't quite place, probably, because of the numerous things running through my mind at the time.

"Yes sir" I turned on my heels to meet his intense glare. I saw mum seated on the sofa looking down at her toes like they were the most interesting thing at the moment.
How did she even get there?

"What's going on with you?" He said so calmly that it scared me.

"No...nothing.... daddy" I sputtered.

"You want to be a designer?" He asked again glaring intensely at me. I gulped, shut my eyes and took a deep breath before blurting out.

"Yes" I said with my heart in my mouth, I had shut my eyes once again wishing it was all a bad dream. A silent prayer rang through my heart as I heard my dad chuckle. A chuckle?
This is NOT good!

I gulped again as I saw his piercing glare, He shook his head once again and stared down at me.
He's a tall man, I tell you.

"You do no such thing in my house! I did not spend my money to send you to one of the best universities in this country, for you to become a tailor"  He bellowed.

My legs became wobbly as I trembled in fear.

"Is there something wrong with you?!" He yelled again and I assumed that he had gotten the attention of the other occupants of the house. My brothers came rushing down the stairs with puzzled looks on their faces as they saw dad towering over my trembling self.

"Dad what's going on? It's late nau!" Travis said adjusting his glasses. He was already in his pajamas, probably getting ready to slip into a deep slumber after the very tiring day. I felt a pang of guilt for being the cause of the disturbance of the peaceful evening.

Grey joined in...
"Dad what's happening?" He asked looking disheveled. My Dad ignored them both but mum spoke up.

"Weren't you at the wedding today? This girl wants to disgrace us. We sent her to school to study business administration but now she wants to become a tailor, out of the blue" Mum yelled pointing at me, her eyes fiercely shooting daggers at me.

Grey pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head slightly before heaving a sigh. He pouted and was about to say something when Travis spoke up.