Chapter Twenty four

Chapter Twenty four

*****
From calls to texts and before we knew it, dates. I was referring to David and I, we had hit it off pretty well within the last few weeks especially after the baby shower and he had asked me out on a date. I was over the moon but I didn't admit it to anyone, especially, not him. Anyhow, Laila who hadn't met him was pestering me on a daily, she wasn't satisfied with the pictures and wanted to see the chocolate man with her own eyes. Her words,not mine.

It was a Friday night, Tunji had been home earlier than usual,looking a bit distraught but he tried to hide it, with a cheerful face. The smile wiped off his features when I mentioned I was going on a date with David.

"A date?" He asked like the words were sour on his tongue.

"Yup" I said popping the 'p' while trying to straighten the small creases on my black body con dress.

"Why am I just hearing about this?"
"You're never around Tee" I answered with a duh tone.
"So you're going out on a date with some guy, forgetting your relationship status?" He sounded bitter, pained in fact. I frowned immediately, what relationship was he talking about? We were just best friends right? I didn't even understand him anymore.

"Tunji we're not dating , you know  that" I said with a lot of emphasis. A look of hurt flashed across his features but it was gone as soon as it came.

"Fine then" He half yelled, getting up abruptly, startling me in the process. I regained my composure and looked him dead in the eye.

"Fine" I huffed and looked away as he stomped into his bedroom and shut the door with a bang. What was getting him all riled up? He couldn't have been jealous, or was he?

The door bell rang, bringing me out of my thoughts. It was Tana, but looking up, David wasn't far behind her. I quickly hugged my best friend as she stepped into the spacious living room. I gave David a smile as he walked in too.

"You look stunning" He complimented and I blushed slightly.
"Thank you" I mouthed, I was afraid my voice would come out too screechy if I said anything in my flushed state.

"Lola where are you going, all dressed up?" Tana asked trying to open a pack of chips.

How did she even get to the kitchen just now?

"We're going on a date" David cheekily answered before I could say anything.

"Ooooh" Tana said teasingly, wiggling her eyebrows for more effects. I turned away in embarrassment.

"Tunji is inside, we have to get going" I said trying to change the topic. Tana frowned.
"What about Laila?" She asked instead.
"She went out, she did not tell me where she was going" I said a little worried about how shady my sister was becoming. She would receive phone calls and suddenly step out without giving me details. I was beginning to fret but she kept on telling me everything was under control.

"That's strange but I'll stay here till she comes back" Tana assured me and I nodded in appreciation. David and I stepped out afterwards.

*****
Deluxe Restaurants...

That was where David brought me for my first date. It was a very fancy place and one had to book reservations for weeks on end before getting a table but David being a major shareholder didn't have to fuss about it. We had our seats and made small talk as we awaited our orders.

"If I wasn't a business man, I would definitely be a chef" He said with so much confidence that I guffawed.

"I'm serious" He stated again with furrowed eyebrows.