Chapter Two

Chapter Two

  Tana brought me to the mall again,did I forget to mention she's crazy about shopping?

After going around the mall for nothing exactly, we decided to sit and have a snack at one of the restaurants. I was eating, peacefully mind you, then she popped the question that sends chills down my spine every time.

"Lola." She called.

"Have you told them?" She asked. Of course she was talking about me telling my parents about my dreams to go into fashion, full time. I sighed.

"Tana, are you seriously asking me that? You know I can't tell them, they'd be so disappointed." I breathed, somewhat frustrated with my dilemma.

"Disappointed?! About you following your dreams? I've seen your sketches Lola they're amazing, you're really good at this." Tana said, looking into my eyes and patting my palm laid on the table, I sighed again.
"I know Tana, but mum and dad won't hear of it."

"Have you even tried? You keep dismissing the thought, when you haven't even tried to tell them." She was right, I was too terrified to say anything to them from the start, it's typical of African parents to be intimidating, you know.

Tana continued"Try talking to your siblings they could help you out, I can talk to my parents to plead on your behalf".

I shook my head, dismissing the idea, my siblings or should I say my family in general, were never the supportive type, it's more like every man for himself in our home, a typical Nigerian saying in pidgin depicting this fact is; 'Everybody with their own oh".

It wasn't atypical in the Gregg family to do as our parents' pleased, they see a  profession that 'suits' the child and they make sure he or she goes for it, without caring about the child's interests. All of my siblings had to face it and I guess it's gonna be the same for me.

"Tana dear, I don't want to get your parents involved, it might complicate things, and my siblings are a 'no show." I smiled, though it didn't reach my eyes.

"Lola I'm not giving up on you like this, your parents can't keep controlling your life." Tana was determined, too bad I wasn't.

I laughed "Hmmm defender, eat up and let's go home, abeg." I said, trying to lighten the mood. We went home shortly afterwards, Tana was still pressing on the issue but I kinda laughed it off, though I was still worried.

   Laila was the only one in the family who knew about my dreams and aspirations, she supports me but our parents are too menacing for her to stand up to, especially because we're the youngest in the family.

  I walked into the house my parents owned, our mansion is somewhat huge, more like one of those houses you'd see on magazines and start fantasizing about.

We had maids and all,but my mum loved to cook most of the time and whenever she isn't available, the daughters of the house weren't spared from kitchen duty, many people would think that affluent daughters were spoiled brats and didn't know their way around house chores and cooking, it's quite a shocker when other rich people visit us and they find out Laila and I cooked the meals they were served.

Our parents never failed to inculcate discipline and hard work in us,they drummed it into our heads right from childhood, we had never taken our privileged position for granted. And that, I'm thankful for.

  I walked up to my room, freshened up and decided to prepare dinner before my parents came home.

  I was halfway through with my cooking, when the doorbell rang, I was sure the maid would get it so I stayed in the kitchen, checking on the meal. There was no way my parents would be back from work so early.

Yeah, my parents were workaholics, they're not so old, having gotten married early and spilling all four of us in the blink of an eye. They've got pretty much a lot of years ahead of them.

I put off the stove and walked out of the kitchen, "Carol, who was at the door?" I asked the maid, while walking towards the stairs, and just before she could answer, I turned around to receive the shock of my life, I may have exaggerated a little bit.

"Laila?!!" I screamed, I could not believe she was back!

I jumped straight into her arms, "I missed you so much!"She was laughing.

"I missed you too sis, now let me go before you squeeze the life out of me",

"Oh." I said releasing her from my grip, before bombarding her with questions.
"How was your trip? Why didn't you tell me you were coming? How was Dubai?"she laughed again, showing off her perfect dentition.

"Relax fish, I just got back and you won't even let me go inside, shift jor".
She pushed me aside playfully, but I clung to her.

"Its because I love you, so much." I pouted before kissing her cheek.

"Awwww I love you too sis and I missed you a whole lot."
We both laughed and climbed up the stairs, arms intertwined, we started catching up on stuff, almost immediately.
God! I missed her!

****