Chapter Twenty one

Chapter Twenty one

******

"Sorry,good day ma" I genuflected, immediately regaining my composure. She nodded in response, her eyes glued to the door handle that I unconsciously held tightly, suddenly nervous as a long tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs.

"Uhh... Come in" I moved a bit as she side tracked me, and entered the living room. I slowly shut the door behind me as I watched her take in the room with her eyes. It had been a while since she came over here and I was wondering how she remembered the place.

"Nice place, she has here" She commended obviously impressed by the decor of the room.
"Indeed" I muttered in response, wiggling my toes, and starting to rack my head for possible reasons why she would be here.
"Where's Tana?" She asked softly as she took a seat.
"She's..." I was saying, just then I heard a door open, and a pair of slippers kissing the tiles.
"Lola you need to see this outfit, I'm wondering if you can design it for one of my girls" She said, without looking up from her phone. I didn't respond immediately and she looked up. Confoundment clouded her features as she stared at our unexpected guest.

"Good afternoon ma" She greeted, almost stuttering as the panic was beginning to set in. We couldn't let her see Laila.

"Tana dear, how are you?" My mum said sweetly spreading her arms for a hug which Tana went into staring straight at me, in question. I shrugged, unbeknownst of the purpose for my mum's visit.

Oh God let your will be done today
I muttered in prayer. "What can we offer you mum?" I butted in as she released Tana from her embrace.
"Water would be fine" I turned to go get it but Tana beat me to it.
"I'll go get it" She gave me a knowing look. We had to stop Laila from coming out somehow. I had to distract my mother while she did the needful.

"Here's your water" She said dropping it on the stool placed in front of my mum.
"Thank you dear"
"I need to use the restroom quickly, I'll be with you shortly" She said, and scurried inside before my mum could answer.

"I see you've been busy" She turned to me, and back at the sewing machine with Mrs Nnadi's fabric sprawled on it. "That fabric looks nice though" She commented casually and I nodded in response.

"So how have you been coping?" She asked again. Heightening my nervousness. Was she here to just ask questions concerning my well being?! Impossible!

"We thank God for everything"
"Hmm" She hummed taking a sip from her glass again.
"Where is she?"
Uh oh
"Where's who?" I feigned perplexion.
"You know who I'm talking about Lola, where's your sister?" She said sternly, her glare almost making me flinch but regaining my composure, I kept mute, still.

"It's been a week,Titilola, no trace of her, we couldn't get through to her phones, and you of all people, you're not fussing about it, you have got to know something" She stated in factualism. My eyes were on everywhere but her. I'm such a bad liar.

"Young lady, I'm talking to you. Answer me" She gave a frustrated sigh when I didn't reply her.

"What do you want her to say?!" I turned swiftly at the sound of the voice.
No, no, no, this cannot be happening!

*******

"Oh my goodness!" She screamed in shock.
"He lied to us" She yelled again in realisation. "I knew something was amiss" She almost whispered as she sat down again, her hands clutching her chest.

Mum was frantic when Laila came into the living room. She was freaking out over the fact that we kept her in our custody without informing anyone. Laila with all the rage she'd had in herself within the past few months poured out her feelings and told our mother everything from start to finish, making her realize her mistake in judging us so quickly.
"I'm so sorry, my baby" She apologized in tears to Laila who turned away from her. She couldn't even cry anymore .
"Apologies won't fix anything mother" She replied coldly. My mother was obviously taken aback by her statement.