Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

****

The silence throughout the drive from Aunt JoJo's place down to the house was deafening. I was even scared to breathe, I'm sure Laila was in the same situation.

Yes, that's how intimidating my mom is.

Once in a while she would mumble things we couldn't decipher. She was really pissed.

Lola see your life!

I fought the urge to face palm myself cause I didn't want any death glares from my mom.

Finally the petrifying ride came to an end as she drove into the huge compound. I stepped out turning to face Laila, she gave a pitiful look,at that point I knew I had to be strong.

Hardly had we gotten in the living room when mom's voice thundered.
"Titilola!!!"

"Yes mummy." I answered after flinching a bit.

"What is it that I have done to offend you?" She said with a forlorn look, with her arms spread out like she wanted to plead with me.

And here comes the water works... Oh brother!

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at that point.

"Lola is there anything you asked of me and your father that we didn't give to you? Why do you want to embarrass us like this? Do you know what your father would do if he heard that you're going about with a sketchpad? A Gregg for that matter?! You want to be a tailor?!" She went on and on, wiping fake tears in between sentences.

The mention of my dad sent minute chills down my spine but I was still unfazed by it, probably because of the fact that he wasn't in the vicinity, all hell would have broken loose at that point.

"But mummy, Aunty Jojo is a top class designer. How would you get those fancy outfits if not for her? What's the difference?"I said as calmly as I could so I wouldn't spite her but those efforts proved abortive cause she flared up right after.

"Would you shut up before I slap you hard across that face of yours?!" She bellowed with her signature fierce boss lady look. I actually felt like one of the staffs at her place of work.

Those people are trying o

"I don't want to ever hear you say anything about it, I would let it slide but if this should repeat itself I'll have to take the case to your father." She concluded with a stern look, walking out of the living room right afterwards, obviously heading back to work.

I turned to Laila who had been quiet the whole time. We had a staring contest for a moment before bursting into non stop bouts of laughter. We laughed till our tummies began aching.

"Did you see the look on her face? It was epic." Laila said after cooling off.

"I swear, the fake tears almost had me bursting out with laughter, our mum is such a drama queen." I said with a chuckle.

"Someone's becoming rebellious huh?" She turned to me with a smirk.

"Laila don't even start. I hope you liked the design of the dress?" I asked eagerly.

"Of course I did, I can't wait for Aunty Jojo to finish it up"she laughed.

"Let this wedding come and go please, so you can be free." She said with a sigh.

I know you're wondering, what sort of freedom but you'll find out later.

Laila knew the plans I had, had not been put in place cause I didn't want anything to disrupt her wedding.