Chapter 22

BELLES POV

Mulan had left after the incident on Thursday night.

It was Saturday at afternoon, and she still hadn't returned. I was very worried for her. Both Ariel and I had tried calling and texting her cell multiple times since then, but no such luck.

She however left a note on her bed. It was very brief note that Ariel and I found yesterday morning. She must have dropped it off either early Friday morning or later on Thursday afternoon. It stated three words.

Cover for me.

Ariel had immediately done just that. She had called in sick for Mulan so Mulan wouldn't get into trouble.

I had felt a tad uncomfortable doing this. I didn't like lying, but if one of my best friends asked for a favour, I would do so.

I was also worrying for her. Was she okay? After punching Shang in the face, she just disappeared. Nobody but Ariel and I had noticed her absence, so good for Mulan, bad for us.

I was currently sitting in the library, in a beanbag chair, attempting to call Mulan again.

The tone rang and rang until it reached her voicemail. Mulan's voice rang through in her voicemail. "Hi you've reached my phone! Please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible!" Her voice rang through as the voicemail.

I sighed heavily. "Mulan, it's me. If you're listening to this, it probably means you've heard the other messages I sent you. Just please call me back." I hung up.

I ran a hand through my hair, stressed out. As I sent more texts to her phone, I didn't realize someone had crept up behind me. A hand touched my shoulder, and I whirled around in surprise.

Adam stood behind me. I gasped, trying to slow down my breathing. Once the initial scare had worn off, I glared at him. "Don't scare me like that!" I scolded him. He hung his head and muttered an apology. I rolled my eyes. "I thought I told you to leave me alone."

"I'm worried about you." Adam said, and I could see the worry in his eyes.

"And why would you be worried?" I asked. "I'm perfectly fine."

"So how's Mulan?" He asked smugly. I glared at him.

"She is super." I lied. "What do you care?"

"I might've heard something about her skipping school." He admitted.

"And where did you obtain such information?" I demanded.

"Peter told me. Well, Ariel told him, and in turn he told me." Adam admitted.

I was a bit angry. It was Ariel who came up with the plan to help cover for Mulan, so she shouldn't have told Peter.

But yet, I couldn't stay angry. I was worried too, and I understood Ariel needing comfort. Who better to give it to her than her boyfriend?

"Well, it's none of your business." I huffed, getting out of the beanbag chair.

As I began to leave, Adam caught my arm. I tried to yank it out of his reach, but he held on. "Cut it out!" I snapped.

"Belle, it's okay if you're scared." He murmured in a somewhat comforting voice.

"I'm fine!" I lied. I tried again to pull my arm back, but no such luck.

"I know you better than that Belle. You pretend everything is fine, when yet you're not."

"So you're basically saying I have no self control?" I frowned.