Chapter 40

MERIDAS POV

I threw a sweater into my backpack, knowing that I would need it. It was nearly December, and I hated the cold.

I had a job interview today, and I was oh so nervous. I dressed myself in a simple white blouse and black pants, hoping it would make me look professional. My hair on the other end, well, I had lost hope for it. It sprung out at every angle, sometimes covering my face. I loved my hair, but would future employees love it too? Probably not.

"Hi Merida!" Honey chirped, walking into our dorm room.

"Hey!" I replied, while searching my drawers for a ponytail holder.

"Where are you going? It's Friday night, and you're all fancied up." Honey asked me.

"I have a job interview at the animal shelter." I replied. I grabbed my hair to put it into a bun, and the ponytail holder snapped. "Damn it!" I groaned, throwing yet another snapped elastic onto the floor.

"Do you need help?" Honey laughed, looking at my disgruntled face. I shook my head.

"I'll get it." I mumbled, reaching for another elastic. And then snapping it. Again.

"I have a hair straightener." Honey said innocently, picking at her nails.

"I ain't straightening my hair!" I told her.

"It'll make you look professional." she sang. I groaned in defeat.

"Fine," I sighed, and she squealed. "But just this once."

Honey eagerly threw her purse onto the bed, and grabbed a hair straightener from under her bed. She plugged it in, and grabbed a brush with her other hand. She walked towards me, pretending to cackle menacingly.

"Let me have your hair, little girl!" she said, laughing now a little.

"Should I call the police?" I asked warily, and she laughed.

She told me to sit on her bed, and I complied. Honey didn't waste a second. She attacked my hair with a brush, and I could hear her struggle.

"Merida!" Honey gasped. "Your hair is a monster!"

"I know." I said, wincing as she pulled it through my hair a couple of times. "Ow!" I yelled, as she ripped her brush violently through my hair. "Are you trying to pull out all of my hair?!"

"No!" Honey laughed, pulling her brush again. She threw the brush down, and I could see that it was covered in red hair. I touched my hair, and it felt frizzy to the touch.

"What've you done to my hair?" I demanded.

"I'm not done!" Honey complained. "Time to straighten it!"

I gulped as I watched her grab the evil heat clamping device. "Don't try anything funny. Or I'll haunt you in the afterlife!" I threatened her. Honey rolled her eyes.

"I'm not gonna hurt you. Now stay still!" she commanded, pulling the straightener through my hair. I could feel the heat near my neck, and I tried my best not to lurch away. She did it a couple more times, humming as she went.

A little while later, she spoke up. "All done!" Honey chirped. She handed me a hand mirror to take a closer look. I gasped in shock.

"My hair is longer! What kind of mockery is this?!" I exclaimed. My hair was no longer everywhere. It was soft and silky, and much longer than it was before.

"It's not longer, silly." Honey laughed. "It just seems that way because it's straight. Now, don't you have an interview to go to?"

"Right! Erm... thanks." I mumbled. Honey chuckled in response.

I slammed the door on my way out, starting to jog. I didn't want to miss the bus.

I sprinted the last mile to the bus stop, panting. The damn jeans that I wore weren't very comfortable or stretchy. I ran my hands through my hair, still shocked at the smooth texture of it. As I admired Honeys handiwork, someone grabbed my arm.

"Ariel?" a red haired boy asked, as I turned around. He instantly blushed when he saw my face. "Erm, sorry. I thought you were someone else." he mumbled. I shook my head.

"I'm not Ariel." I told him.

"I can see that." he snickered. Oops. "Aren't you in my math class?"

"I might be," I replied, keeping an eye out for a bus. "I wouldn't know. Math is boring."

He nodded in agreement. "It is. I'm Peter."

I looked at him. "Aren't you the one that filled Coach Zeus's bag with rotten eggs?" I asked. My friend Esmerelda had told me that someone named Peter had pulled that stunt a little while back.

Peter smirked a little. "That was fun."

I grinned. "You shoulda done more to his bag. Maybe fill it with spiders."

"Where would I get spiders from?"

I shrugged, and he laughed. "I'm Merida."

"Merida," he mumbled to himself. Then he looked up at me. "Hi."

"Hello." I replied awkwardly.

The bus rolled up to the stop with a groan, and came to a screeching halt. Gosh, I wished I had my own car. Peter and I both boarded the bus, and paid the fees for the ticket. We sat down together, near the front. The bus seat itched, and I scratched my legs in annoyance. I knew I probably sounded childish, but I really hated public transport.

Peter poked my arm. "Isn't your hair really messy usually?"

"Gee, you really know how to flatter someone." I said, rolling my eyes. He smirked, and pulled my hair. I slapped his hand away. "Get off of me, why don't you?"

Peter sniggered, and I held back the urge to punch him. Hard.

"Leave me alone," I snapped. "I have a job interview to go to."

Peters eyes lit up. "Same here!"

"You're lying." I accused him.

"Am not!" Peter insisted. "I have an interview at the animal shelter."

I groaned, and let my head hit the back of the stupid bus seat. Of course he had an interview at the exact same place I did. Was the universe trying to work against me in some sick, twisted way? It appeared so.

And since I am a terrible human I will end the chapter right at this point. Fear me mortals. Hey I end school Tuesday, so from there on I will start updating on a regular basis! Yay!

Peace out.