Chapter 6

ARIEL'S POV

"Come on ladies!" Coach Incredible screamed at us. For such a tiny woman, she was loud! I pushed myself harder. I was at swim tryouts. I wanted to make the team.

No. I needed to make the team. I was part mermaid, for crying out loud!

Coach Incredible stretched her arm to where we needed to finish.

The girl behind me was splashing hard. She was close. I struggled to swim further. The chlorine was starting to burn my eyes.

I gasped as I dove under water. And up again. I heard Coach Incredible screaming at us, but I ignored her. I needed to concentrate.

My hand slapped against the wall, signalling that I had finished the relay. To my great pleasure, I was the first.

Soon, the other girls had started to finish as well. The girl that was behind me grinned at me. I grinned back.

"Okay ladies. Good tryouts. Results will be posted Monday. Hit the showers!" Coach yelled, and left the gym.

I swam to the ladder, and climbed out. I walked over to the change rooms, and started to shower, trying to get the smell of chlorine out of my messy red hair.

A hand tapped my shoulder. Now that my eyes weren't burned with chlorine, I could see who it was.

She resembled the girl who had smiled at me earlier. She stuck out her hand.

"I'm Meg." She said, her purple hair spilling over her shoulder. I shook her hand.

"Ariel." I introduced myself.

"Are you like part fish? Because you were practically the best out there." She joked.

"Sorta..." I chuckled. I turned off the shower, and grabbed my towel. As soon as I dried myself off, I threw on my pink sweatshirt and some jeans. I said my goodbyes to Meg. I liked her, I really did.

I went to my dorm, and sat on my bed. I wanted to take a nap, but I told Belle we were going shopping. She reluctantly agreed. I laughed to myself.

The door swung open, revealing Mulan. I had forgotten to ask her if she wanted to come with us! I felt like a horrible person.

"Mulan! I'm going to find Belle. We are going out to get dresses for homecoming. Come with us!" I urged. She frowned.

"I wasn't planning on going." She admitted. I gasped.

"But it'll be so much fun! Please?" I begged. She chuckled slightly.

"Fine, but I'm going to hate every minute."

"Yay!" I squealed, throwing my arms around her. I grabbed her arm, and we left to go find Belle.

Luckily, we didn't have to look far. We spied Belle heading towards the library. Not on my watch!

"Belle!" I yelled, waving my arms excitedly. She walked over to us.

"Did you forget our plans?" I teased her. She nodded sheepishly. Mulan laughed slightly.

"Come on! I don't want all the good dresses to be gone!" I said, grabbing both of them.

We headed out of the academy, to the little shopping mall that held lots of promising boutiques.

"Let's head into Fairy Godmothers Boutique." I instructed. They both nodded, and we made our way in.

Making our way through the endless racks, I found a pink, sleeveless dress. It was simple, but I loved it. I found Belle and Mulan, and showed them. They both nodded. I quickly paid for the dress.

"Okay girls. Who's next?" I grinned. Mulan pointed at Belle. I laughed.

We scoured the store, before finding a glittering gold dress. It was very pretty, with the back open. I grinned at Belle.

"Bingo!" I yelled gleefully. She chuckled in response.

"Let's get this." She murmured, and paid.

We both turned to Mulan. I grinned mischievously.

"Your turn." I pretended to cackle. She sighed.

"Let's get this over with." She muttered. I giggled.

She soon found a dark purple dress. It's sleeves went to her wrists. It trailed in the floor. I nodded, and she groaned.

"Come on!" I urged her. She mock glared at me, and bought it.

"Yay!" I squealed. They both rolled their eyes.

"It's just buying a dress." Mulan said.

"You're no fun." I stuck out my tongue at her.

"Let's go to Ratatouilles." Belle said, naming a local restaurant. "I'm starving."

We nodded, and head off to the food court.

We ordered our food, and sat down. A group of guys walked in. Mulan went pale, and looked down. I nudged her.

"You okay?" I asked, poking her with a fry.

"Can we not look at them?" She begged. I frowned.

"Why not?" I asked curiously.

"Too late." Belle muttered. "They're coming over this way."

Mulans face was whiter than a ghost.

They sauntered over. I recognised them from the duelling team. Why would Mulan care?

I knew the team coaches name was Shang. Shang sat down across from me.

"Hi Ariel." He said. "Do you know anyone named Ping? He's in the duelling team, but we can't find him anywhere."

I shook my head. Mulan started to quietly excuse herself. Shang saw her, and got up. I nudged Belle in the ribs.

"Ow!" She complained. I shushed her.

"Hey you!" Shang called after Mulan.

She winced, and reluctantly turned around.

"No hard feelings? You're that girl from earlier, right?" He asked. She shrugged.

This was getting even more confusing by the minute. Mulan had told us she was napping earlier.

Shang was starting to get on my nerves. Mulan was napping earlier, because she wasn't feeling well. That was what she told us. She didn't have a reason to lie to us.

I grabbed Belles arm, and dragged her to stand with me in front of Mulan.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded.

"Your friend here-" he began to say but there were a few shrieks. I saw a couple of giggling girls pointing at Shang and all of his friends.

"It's Shang!" One of them screamed.

"Hercules!" Another screamed.

"Flynn! Flynn Rider!" Yet another shrieked.

Crazy fan girls.

I turned to Mulan, but she had used the distraction to quietly sneak out of the restaurant.

I grabbed Belle, and we hurried after her. I was eager to get to the bottom of Mulans strange behaviour.