Chapter 28

MULANS POV

The flight back home was awkward, to say the least. I had boarded a small plane. It was awkward because my ticket had placed me seated right beside Shang.

I shoved some earbuds into my ears, turning up my music to as loud as it would go. I could feel that he was staring at me. Really, I was being immature. I had lied to him, then assaulted him, and now I was straight up ignoring him. Stupid of me. He had every right to be mad.

I pushed that though aside, and concentrated on other pleasant thoughts. Like how I would see my family soon! In China we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I was using the break to see my family anyways. I hoped they would be proud of me, we really valued honour back home. With the exception of the little problem of me faking being a guy to get on a team, I had been doing well in school. Besides, I was only going home for a couple of days. I would return Tuesday. I should be able to survive that long.

The plane began to move, and I settled down further. Right before we left, Belle had lent me a book for the plane ride. I was never big on reading, but like I said, Shang was sitting beside me, and I needed a distraction. I made a mental note to thank Belle later. I grabbed the book. I squinted at it. It was the first Harry Potter book. At least it was short. My eyes skittered over the first paragraph. It was kinda boring. Letting out a quiet yawn, my eyes began to droop.

I awoke a while later, when the plane was beginning to descend. A flight attendant tapped my shoulder, jarring me from my sleep. I stretched, and made a brutal, awkward mistake. I had forgotten that I had been unfortunately been seated beside my ex boyfriend, and I punched him when I stretched.

Very cringe worthy of me.

I tried to mutter an apology, but he waved me off. I took that as an opportunity to just shut up and grab my bags. I wish the ground would swallow me whole.

The plane touched the ground, and all the passengers started to grab their bags. I chucked the book Belle gave me into my backpack. I had never even finished reading the first paragraph... oops.

My hands clumsily reached for my black suitcase stored in the above compartment. Most people had already left the plane. Shang had left already too...

Ugh. This was so unhealthy for me to be keeping track of my ex boyfriend.

I got my bags, and started to walk off the plane. I barely paid attention to my surroundings; I was still tired. I finally made it out of the airport. The air was chilly, so I pulled my black leather jacket around me even tighter. I walked to the parking lot, looking for my mothers car. I finally spotted it. Eagerly, I began to jog. I hadn't realized how much I missed my mom. The drivers door opened, and my petit mother stepped out of the car. I sprinted the last few meters, and engulfed her in a hug. She embraced me tightly. My father limped beside her, and hugged me too.

"Mulan! Oh, I've missed you! You've grown so much" Mama exclaimed, brushing some strands of hair behind my ear.

"Mama, I've missed you too!" I said. I teared up a bit. She wiped my escaping tears.

"Mulan, no crying!" Mama scolded me. "This is a happy time!"

"Sorry." I chuckled, beaming at her. She smiled back, and motioned for us to get in the car. I tossed my bags into the trunk, and sat in the passenger seat. I began to talk to my mom and dad about the academy. I told them about my classes, and my friends. Unfortunately my mom moved on to the one topic I had hoped we could avoid.

"So, got a boyfriend?" Mama teased me, as we drove away from the airport. I felt my cheeks red, and I knew I was blushing.

"Uh, no." I muttered, hoping that would close the subject.