Chapter 6

Sasha

“Birds flying high you know how I feel, Sun in the sky you know how I feel, breeze drifting on by you know I feel, it’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me, yeah, it’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me, and I’m feeling good…” -Nina Simone

I’m gonna fast forward just a little bit…

After my interview, Mr. Campbell offered me a job as a desk clerk, which is simple enough, I just sit at the front desk and answer the phone, greet the guests and artists and offer them water or something. He informed me that I would be working on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week, and that I can start on Friday so I can use that day as a training day to learn the ropes and get to know everyone on the staff and hopefully some of the artists. Overall the interview went great, I was a little nervous because I knew he knew who my family was and I figured he would ask me why I was trying to work there and not with someone in my family, but he didn’t ask me that at all, in fact he said and I quote, “I am not concerned who your family is or what your life story is, when you walk through those front doors, you are a part of the My Block family, and what matters to me is your contribution to this company, and nothing else. Just remember that your work life is here, your school life is at school, and your home life is at home. So, don’t confuse the three or get them mixed up, cause I only care about your work life.” After he said that, all my fear and anxiety went out the window and the rest of the interview was smooth sailing. Mr. Campbell is really cool, but you can tell he is very business oriented and driven. He’s all for having fun and having a good time but don’t let it keep you from doing your job. I can tell I’m really going to enjoy working here, there’s a vibe here that I really gel with.

As I was leaving, I was so excited that I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and accidentally bumped into someone, making them drop the papers they were holding.

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry I wasn’t looking where I was going, here let me help,” I said embarrassed as I immediately bent down to help the person pick up their belongings. When our hands went towards the same sheet of paper that’s when I finally looked up to see who I had bumped into. My eyes widened at the realization of who was standing before me, it was Paco Walls from The Walls Group. My breath caught in my throat. I’ve always been a lover of gospel music and The Walls Group are one of my favorite Gospel artists to listen to, they are around my age and their music is so amazing. Not to mention, I may have a slight crush on Paco.

“H-hi,” I stammered. I mentally face palmed myself. Nice, Sasha, real nice.

“Hi,” he said with a nervous smile. For a moment we just sat there, staring at each other with a goofy smile on our face until I snapped out of it, and finished helping him with his things. Paco snapped out of his trance as well, “Oh! Um, are you ok, I’m sorry I wasn’t paying attention,” he said as he stood up, awkwardly gathering all his things into one hand so he could offer his other hand for me to shake, “I’m Paco, by the way,” he said nervously.

I grinned and shook his hand, “I’m Sasha! And it’s ok, it was my fault actually I was so excited I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going. I hope I didn’t jumble up your papers too bad,” I said making a worried face.

He smiled and waved me off, “You’re good, these are just some lyrics I’ve been working on, nothing fancy, most of the papers were blank anyway. You said you were excited; I take it that means congratulations are in order?” he asked.

I nodded, “Yeah, I just got a job working here after school actually,” I said as I moved some of the hair out of my face.

His face brightened up, “Oh cool so that means I’ll be seeing more of you, I mean, you’ll be around here more often,” he corrected himself quickly, his face turning a light shade of red.