chapter twenty-three

as i sat in the squad room, a text appeared on my phone from rafael

"they sent abuelita home, which i don't think is a smart move. no one can take care of her. i'm going to the bronx tonight and see her, maybe i can change her mind."

i sighed. i knew he wanted the best for her and that this situation was stressing him out.

"i'll come with. i'll text jamie, see if he can watch joey until we get back so pop can get home."

"alright, reagan, amaro, they found briggs. we need you to go get him." liv ordered after i sent the message. the two of us jumped out of chairs and put on our coats.

"she's at a private airport in westchester, trying to whisk him off to canada after the daughters got the court order to see him." she briefed us quickly. "i'm sending you the address now.

"got it." i said, grabbing the keys from amaro's hand. "and i call driver's seat."

"oh no. reagan's driving. let's pray we don't die on top of this." nick joked.

"alright, you two, settle down." liv told us as we walked out of the elevator. "reagan, if you drive in anyway like danny, please be careful. don't get yourselves killed."

"roger that sarge."

~

after confronting the wife at the airport, while questioning mr. briggs, we ended up in a westchester court room located in white plains. sonny had met us there for extra back up. the daughters and mrs. briggs' lawyer were up there contesting the whole thing.

i had amaro drive to the courthouse so i could finally get a message out to jamie about watching joey, which my brother had no objections to.

when the hearing was over and the judge ordered mr. briggs back to a hospital, i turned to amaro and carisi.

"i gotta meet barba in the bronx. can you two ride back together?"

they nodded.

"everything alright?" nick asked.

"family stuff. i'll explain at a later time." i replied, not wanting to give the full details.

"got it. we're good, you just do what you gotta." sonny assured me. "do you got someone to watch joe?"

i nodded. "yeah, jamie should be with him now. he headed there straight after his tour."

"okay, good." sonny nodded. "be safe you driving maniac."