chapter twenty-five

after we all gathering the bronx for rafael's grandmother's funeral, dad invited rafael's mom, lucia, over for sunday dinner.

as we sat down at the table, we tried to talk about funny things that have happened in the family to make both her and rafael laugh, which for the most part worked.

between dinner and dessert, my phone started to ring as all heads turned toward me.

i excused myself from the table in order to answer. "reagan."

"hey, i'm sorry to call but we got a situation. are you able to come in?" liv said on the other line.

"what's going on?"

"to sum it up, amaro's father and fiancé's father equals wedding reception gone bad."

"i'm sorry, you mean the father of the twenty-eight year old and amaro's abusive old man got into it."

"to put it in short terms, yes."

"why is svu being called to the case? because nick's father's involved."

"more like he may have gotten physical and punched the fiancé. her outcry was to nick."

"i'm on my way." i tell her before going back into the dining room.

"everything alright?" my father asks.

"yeah, I'm being called in on a case."

"you need a ride?" jamie asks.

"that would be much appreciated, please."

"let me go get my coat and keys."

i nod at my brother as he got up from his place and walked out of the dining room.

"what's this about?" danny asked.

"amaro's father apparently got into a fight with the fiancé's father."

"you mean the fiancé that's 28 years-old?" rafael asks, looking at me humorously.

"what?" erin, linda, lucia, and my dad all said in shock as pop and danny looked at me with wide eyes.

"how old's the guy?"

"older than dad."

the looks around the table were noticeable.

"i thought you told me he wasn't going? rafael says, confused.

"that's what I thought too. i don't have all the details yet hun."

"how does this involve svu?" dad then asked.

"the fiancé was allegedly assaulted by nick's father. her outcry was apparently to nick, so svu is being called in."

"well, it sounds like you'll be having fun." pop commented.

"oh yeah, i'll be having a lot of fun at the hospital and then looking at security tapes and so on and so forth."