chapter twenty-nine

where the hell is jameson?" i say through my teeth as i attempt to keep a smile on my face

it was hard to do when your twin brother, who is the godfather to my son, is an hour late to the baptism.

"i'll call him again, relax sis." danny said as he went outside the church once again.

"just take a breath, everything will be okay." rafael said.

"babe, my entire squad is here and they've got work to do. my father pulled in a favor with the monsignor just to get our son blessed. jamie's partner, our son's godmother is here. the rest of our family is here, hell, even erin's ex husband came. now where the hell is he and did something happen to him? oh my god, what if something happened?"

"i'm sure your brother is fine kelly. just take a breath" my father comes over. "may i hold my grandson?"

nodding i hand the baby over to my father as i look between him and my husband.

"just breathe honey." rafael tries to sooth.

"i'm gonna go outside and call him myself. and if i can't get a hold of him, i'm going out there and finding him."

before any one could stop me, i was already completely down the aisle of the church.

once i opened the door to go outside, there he was, strolling down the street.

danny was already yelling but nothing could stop me from what i was about to say.

"what the hell is the matter with you?"

i rushed down the church steps, raising my voice.

"hey, i know i'm sorry i'm late. i'm really sorry i'm late. i got caught up with a case."

"you couldn't have fucking called?"

"hey hey, whoa whoa whoa." danny grabbed my waist before i could reach my twin brother.

"i'm really sorry kel, but i'm here now and,"

"that's not the point jamie! it's been an hour and no one has heard from you, no one knew where you were not even your partner, who by the way was on time for your nephew's baptism." i yell. "for all we could have known, you could've been face down dead in a fucking ditch or shot by someone and no one would've known."

"hold on, is that what this is about?" jamie asks. "this is about joe?"

"of course it's about joe! in a situation like this, where you are never late, it especially is. this is why we check in! if we're gonna be late, we let someone know."