chapter nineteen

"alright little man

"alright little man. welcome home." i whispered to my son as rafael opened the door, as i walked in followed by the whole reagan family.

yes, they all came home with us.

and we had a whole police escort.

"do you need us to do anything?" erin asks, as i shook my head.

"no, no. i think i'm just gonna go put him down and then unpack everything."

"we got that, don't worry." linda said.

"you guys have been at the hospital as much as we have, go home, sleep we'll be fine."

"we've up longer than this on the job, we're fine." danny waved us off.

"speaking of jobs, don't most of you have a job to get to?" rafael asks in his snarky, sarcastic tone.

"it's okay. we can take off to help you guys." my father then said.

"crime doesn't stop in this city, and you damn well know it." i replied to my father. "rafael and i can handle this. we need you guys to keep the city safe as the commissioner, detective, police officer, and assistant district attorney while we are on paternal and maternal leave. you guys are more than welcome to stop by any time, but we cannot ask you to take any time off."

"we didn't ask sis." jamie stated.

"well, it's a good thing you didn't because as much as i love you, i would've said no. i appreciate all the help you're trying to give us, you can't forget you have your own lives."

"are you crying?" jamie then asks as i shake my head before nodding.

"someone take joe." i manage to squeak as jamie took the baby from my arms and rafael rubbed soothing circles on my back.

"how about this: we'll all take a sick day sometime this first week to help you out, and going forward we'll stop by when we can to see him and check up on you. does that sound fair?" jamie reasons with me as i nod my head, hormones getting the best of me.

"and i'll be over whenever because i don't work." pop said, causing a laugh out of everyone.

"sounds good pop." rafael replied. "although if crime starts rising because you're not doing your jobs, it isn't our fault."

"dually noted." my father replied. "now, can i have my grandson jameson? you're hogging him and i'd like to put him down with his mom."

jamie, much to his reluctance, handed the baby to my father, but not before whispering to my son, "me and you will have a quality talk later."

my father then followed me up the stairs to the nursery as he set joseph down.

"you know we just wanna help." my dad stated as i sighed.

"i know dad, i know."

"i don't want you to feel like we're smothering you."

"you aren't, i'm just tired. it's been a long few days dealing with being a new mom. as much as i love you all and appreciate the help, i just want to be with my husband and my baby for now."

"i understand more than you know." he smiled. "i'll round them all up."

"thank you."

"but i do expect you to try and be at dinner on sunday."

"is it possible to have family dinner here?"

"yeah, sure. why?" my father asked before shaking his head. "nevermind. newborn, stupid question."

"the week after we'll do it at the house maybe, but this week is already crazy."

"i get it, don't worry. all i know honey, is that you aren't cooking."

i couldn't help but laugh a little.

"thanks dad. i'm surprised if i don't pull an erin."

"what happened with erin?"

"remember what happened after she gave birth to nicki?"

"oh right. she and jack fell asleep at the dinner table."

"that was hysterical." there was a moment of silence between me and my father before i spoke again.

"i know i say this a lot, but i wish joe and mom were here."

"me too sweetheart." he sighed as he put his arm around my shoulders. "but i know one thing and that is that they're so incredibly proud of you. if joe were here, i don't think he would stop bragging how your kid was named after him."

i wiped a tear from my eye as i nodded, laughing because that would be something my brother would do.

"i miss them everyday."

"we all do." my dad replied as we started to walk out of the room and back into the living room.

"dad, you made her cry already! what did you say this time?" danny says, noticing me wiping a tear.

"nothing! we were just talking about mom and joe." our father clarified as the family nodded and we all got into a deep conversation before they all left, well besides jamie, since he wanted to take the first shift of helping us.

"you have an amazing family mi amor." rafael said, as he came into our bedroom later that night.

"we have an amazing family. you are part of this family now rafa, you have been for years. our baby is a part of it now."

"and he's absolutely perfect for our family." rafael smiled at me, as he pressed a kiss to my lips.