chapter four

"sorry, i'm late!" i yell as i run into my family home for dinner

"we were just sitting down." my father replies as he presses a kiss to my cheek.

"okay, good. i don't need to hear danny complain about the food getting cold because i was doing my job." i reply.

"heard that!" i heard danny yell from the dining room.

as i walked in, my grandfather kissed my cheek before i looked at my siblings, nephews, niece, and husband.

wait, what?

"rafael?"

"i, uh,"

"i invited him to dinner." my grandfather says as i took my seat in-between rafael and jamie.

there was a awkward silence before we prayed and jamie spoke up as we were passing the food around.

"so, i heard the jury came back."

"yup, we got the guilty verdict." rafael said, slight smile on his face, sipping his wine.

"nice work, barba." danny says as rafa thanks him.

"so, what's this i hear about you getting nearly killed with a belt?" my father asks.

"you almost got killed with a belt uncle rafa?" jack asks.

"yes, but i'm perfectly fine. i got it checked out by a doctor, no damage." he reassures. "i just got some loss of oxygen as i tried to prove that he did the crime to our victim."

"it was one of the best and interesting crosses i've ever seen." erin says.

"i agree, it was very well done." my grandfather adds.

"thank you sir."

i stayed silent, picking at my food, as my father and the family members continued to ask him about this trial and he did his best to explain the pg version of his cross.

"kel, you're awfully quiet. everything okay at work?" linda comments.

"yeah, yeah, i'm just listening to the conversation." i lightly smile. "this was actually rafael's first case with manhattan svu."

"wait, you two work together now?" danny asks, clearly not clear on the facts. i guess i forgot those details.

"yeah, we do." i reply.