chapter one

two years later

two years later

i sat at my desk, vetting everything with the current case, cup of coffee in my hand, as i did my job like i did for the past six and a half years as a manhattan svu detective.

"you good over there?" elliot asks as i yawn.

he was a long time friend of my older brother, danny's, so when i joined the squad, he not only had my back, but teased me all the time.

"oh, yeah, all good." i flash a smile in his direction.

before i could finish my answer with why i was exhausted, our stand in captain, walked into the squad room with olivia benson, who had been at svu for fourteen years now and amanda rollins, who had just joined svu from atlanta.

"reagan, amaro, our new ada wants all the information on this rape case. you two took the outcry, so bring him whatever you can and then report back here before you guys go home tonight."

nick amaro was also a new edition to the svu squad.

"right away captain." i reply getting up from my desk as nick and i start walking out of the room.

as we were leaving, my cell phone rang.

"give me a minute." i say as nick tells me he's gonna get the car.

"reagan."

"how's the detectives of the sixteenth precinct doing?"

"well, commissioner it's a surprise to hear from you." i answer after hearing my father's voice through the phone. "are you calling as my father or the commissioner?"

"both." my father replies to my question.

"well, as my father, i can't give you anything as we're still working the investigation. as the commissioner, this investigation is getting more and more complicated by the minute."

"how so?"

"the victim wrote a book full of sexual foreplay, in which, the suspect is claiming consensual sexual contact, that they were 'acting' out scenes from the book."

"does the victim want move forward with investigation?"

"not really, but we're going through the investigation without her. my partner and i are meeting with our new ada now to give him the facts of the case so far."