chapter twenty-seven

"how right was i a couple of weeks ago?"

"shut up."

"jameson."

"kelly."

"get in the car."

my twin brother climbs into the vehicle. as he turns to puts his jacket in the back seat, he sighs as i start to drive.

"you brought my nephew?"

"yeah. your future godson needs to see what not to do when he grows up." i say as i gain a side eye from him. "and rafael got called into the office so i had to take the baby."

"on the weekend?"

"you know better than me that crime doesn't stop on the weekends."

"you're right there."

"the cake on your suit compliments your black eye very nicely."

"oh gee thanks."

"you just hate that i was right and called it."

"you did not!"

"oh really? did you not start a fight at a wedding and end up in county lockup in nassau county?"

he remained silent. he knew i called it.

"which leads me to my next question, where's eddie?"

"she got in a cab and left."

"just like that? you didn't try to fight her on it."

"you know her, she's stubborn."

"no jameson, you're fucking stubborn." i say. "jamie, i love you but god, if you just admitted that you were into eddie you wouldn't have fought whoever it is you fought and i wouldn't be picking you up from nassau county."

"thank you for getting me."

"what are sister's for?" i say. "also raf and i had a bet going after you called so i needed to see who was right."

"oh yeah? who won."

"me, obviously. i know you way too well." i say. "we're cops jamie, every day is life or death for us. we gotta do the things that make us happy."