chapter seventeen

a few months had passed by, and i was literally about to pop

no, like literally, i was over my due date and rafael was highly concerned.

he didn't even want to go to his own job, since the nypd and liv had forced me into maternity leave already.

"look, i have a doctor's appointment today. i'm sure everything is fine. this little one just wants to roast a little more." i reassure my husband.

"but, what if you go into labor and i'm not here to help. oh my god." then he started mumbling words in spanish. i understood them all, but i just continued to look at my nerve-wrecked husband.

"babe,"

"yes darling?"

"go to work. i will be fine."

"i have feeling he's going to come today."

"okay, and if he does, i will let you know as soon as i know." he puts his hands on my belly, as i put my hands over his.

"i can't believe he's nearly here."

"me and you both hermosa." rafael replied.

i waddled, yes waddled, over to where my husband's briefcase was and handed it to him. "you're gonna be late, and i don't need to hear it from erin."

"i could,"

"you'll have enough time off when the baby comes and you're gonna drive yourself mad because you are practically married to your work."

"you know me so well." he pressed a kiss to my lips. "if anything goes wrong,"

"i will call you." i smiled. "i love you."

"i love you most." he said, kissing me once again before heading out the door, leaving me to our empty place.

halfway into eating my breakfast and reading my newspaper, i started feeling a bit of pain, but i figured it was braxton hicks, so i didn't pay any attention to it.

there was a ring from the doorbell, as i slowly got up of the couch, and walked over to see my twin brother and his partner standing there.

"what are you two doing here?" i ask.

"well, we had the day off and with the baby coming, and barba at work, we figured we'd spend the day with you." jamie said, as he let himself in.

typical jamie.

"come on in eddie, it's good to see you."

"you too." she smiled. "so, i heard the little one is overdue."

"oh yes, by a week. the doctor may have induce me if he doesn't come out soon."

"i'm assuming that wasn't the plan?" she asked.

"not at all." i sigh. "what can i get you two?"

"nothing, you can sit and relax. i'll take care of it." jamie insisted as he tried to escort me to the couch.

"jamie, i'm," i was cut off by that pain again. it was stronger this time.

"what's going on sis? talk to me." jamie said as he grabbed my arm to steady me.

"nothing. it's just braxton hicks, that's it."

"are you sure? i mean you could be going into labor." eddie says.

"no, i think," i was cut off again. this time with fluid running down my leg. "okay, jamie call rafael and eddie, help me change out of these pants."

~

"i told you this baby was coming today mi amor, i should've stayed." my husband said, as he stood next to me in the hospital room.

"you really don't wanna fight with me right now barba." i grit through my teeth, as another contraction hit and he rubbed my back.

jamie and eddie were getting a show out of this, that's for sure. and so was danny and erin, when they walked in and i was yelling at rafael for doing this to me.

"erin, charge them both please."

"with what exactly?" she asked.

"assault." i yell, before another contraction hit.

"there she is." my father then said entering the room. "how are you feeling?"

"i want my husband and baby arrested and charged, but no one around here can do that." i say.

as soon as i said that, rafael's mother and grandmother walked in. it's safe to say they were confused as hell.

"right now you do, but once that baby is in your arms. you'll forget all about it." he says, pressing a kiss to my head.

pretty soon, my doctor came in, and about forty-five minutes later, i was pushing.

rafael was amazing. even when i was giving up, he kept pushing me through it.

pretty soon, we had beautiful baby boy in this world.

my father was right, i forgot all about it once i had him in my arms, as i looked up at my adoring husband.